Options

About Certified Ethical Hacker.

chenfmchenfm Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Everybody is good:

I have already passed RHCE, preparing MCSE at present, and plan to finish all examinations of MCSE in March of next year.
However, I am quite interested in C.E.H now, but in Taiwan, C.E.H is not any hot authentication ,
Though CCNA compare to fix one's eyes on enterprise, so I am considering, after I finish the examination of MCSE,
And then I am should go hard to my interesting C.E.H? Take an exam of CCNA ?

My question is, go course to have CCNA , take $1400,
But go up to C.E.H, take $2000, I want know,
If I choose to have C.E.H, what may I get in course?
It is the ability really with hacker, or only pass the ability of the examination ?

If only pass the ability of the examination , I think that I will give up course of C.E.H,
Because I do not want to become and explain the theory , but will have no ability to solve the engineer of the problem.

Hope for experienced friends, can offer enough information to me , thank you everily.

PS: English is not good, if bring inconvenience, please be a lot of many to include.

Comments

• Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    CEH kind of assumes that you know MCSE related material. It is mostly a windows security based exam IMHO.

I'd finish the MCSE and CCNA and then move to CEH. Very good and very solid foundation you will be working with
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Windows security based exam? I wouldn't agree with that. First of all. In the class I took for this exam, we touched Windows maybe 20% of the time, it was mostly Linux tools. The fact is, a lot of these Linux tools are either ported or are portable to Windows, but at the expense of losing tons of functionality, which is probably why we stuck to linux throughout most of the class. Going into this exam thinking that it's a Windows security exam is a sure way to fail it.
  • Options
    keatron wrote:
    Windows security based exam? I wouldn't agree with that. First of all. In the class I took for this exam, we touched Windows maybe 20% of the time, it was mostly Linux tools. The fact is, a lot of these Linux tools are either ported or are portable to Windows, but at the expense of losing tons of functionality, which is probably why we stuck to linux throughout most of the class. Going into this exam thinking that it's a Windows security exam is a sure way to fail it.

The material I reviewed was definitely more Windows focused than any other OS. From the the hacking methods they tried to show the reader, the topis covered about security in general etc...

A good majority of the tools were strictly windows too. There were a few that were *nix based, but those were the very popular tools
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I would guess that at least half the tools in the material are for Linux.
  • Options
    In your certification kit you get a bootable Linux, (not windows) CD with between 100 and 150 Linux tools (can't remember exactly, cause I don't use em all). This is a clear indicator to me that they want you to learn Linux, if you don't know it already.

Some people get confused, because a lot of the Linux tools are actually used to exploit Windows boxes.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    ... because a lot of the Linux tools are actually used to exploit Windows boxes.
    icon_twisted.gif *Savors irony * icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    keatron wrote:
    In your certification kit you get a bootable Linux, (not windows) CD with between 100 and 150 Linux tools (can't remember exactly, cause I don't use em all). This is a clear indicator to me that they want you to learn Linux, if you don't know it already.

Some people get confused, because a lot of the Linux tools are actually used to exploit Windows boxes.

That may be true about the linux bootable cd, but most linux tools are used for perimeter security testing. Me thinks CEH is just kind of jumping on the security bandwagon by pushing the linux tools. Exploiting windows is always best done with the same OS as your target. (as long as it's not xp2 the raw breaker you use lol) :D
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    dissolved wrote:
    Exploiting windows is always best done with the same OS as your target.
    I've read through a lot of hacking literature and I don't remember this bit of advise. What's the reasoning behind it?
  • Options
    Exploiting windows is always best done with the same OS as your target.

My company specializes in Pentesting and training. We also regularly team with other companies to conduct pentests, and I'm at some type of awareness meeting, seminar, or some security summit monthly, and so far this analogy and way of thinking has managed to escape me. No one I know in security would agree with this. But hey, I don't know everyone :)