Options

Feds warned to stay away from Defcon

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
Jeff Moss, the owner of the premier hacking convention, Defcon, has decided to ask Feds to stay away from Defcon this year in the wake of the revelation of the Federal government's surveillance programs:

DEF CON To Feds: We Need Some Time Apart — Krebs on Security

I find this very, very disappointing. Moss (a.k.a. "The Dark Tangent") has a real opportunity here to keep the Hacker and Fed communities working together in this time of stark publicity about what everyone knew was already happening--and known especially by the people who attend Defcon. Instead of moving to keep the two communities together, Moss is suggesting they stay apart for reasons that are vague and, frankly, lame.

Now is the time for open, public disclosures by Feds at Defcon with Q&A sessions for PR and damage control, and not a time for them to hide their faces until "things blow over."

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm not shocked. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the hacker community a little more uncomfortable with our government since certain revelations.

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to Defcon this year. It's my first year as a goon. I'll be part of the production staff so if you see a blonde running around with a red shirt, that's me!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    With his statement, do they plan on keeping the Meet the feds panel? I always enjoyed going to that one, and would hate to see it not be at this years Defcon. I do find it odd he states "Our community operates in the spirit of openness, verified trust, and mutual respect.", but he wants to exclude a some people. Like JD said, people are upset over things that have recently come to light that the Defcon community has known for some time.

Also Iris, are you on the Defcon networking team? You should not be hard to spot as a female goon, kinda like the a guy walking around defcon in a Hawaiian shirt icon_cool.gif. To be fair someone asked if I was a cop once b/c I was wearing a polo shirt...
  • Options
    Nope, not the networking team. I'm on the production team. My boss is a higher-level Defcon member and kind of called me into his office a month ago and asked me to be a goon. I always wanted a snazzy red shirt.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    hmm, is there a TE meetup at defcon?, seems we have a few people going this year.
  • Options
    We'll all form a line behind Iris. No waiting in line at the bar when you are with a Goon. icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    All your drinks are belong to me!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you are there just make sure to speak clearly so the NSA transcripts can be read easily.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    When you are there just make sure to speak clearly so the NSA transcripts can be read easily.

LMAO! I almost spit my coffee out when I read your posticon_lol.gif
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Can anyone attend Def Con or would it be above a newbies head?
  • Options
    First, have a look at this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/90712-getting-most-out-def-con-ed-skoudis.html

Then have a look through the Defcon 19 & 20 "videos and slides" at media.defcon.org to get an idea if Defcon is the kind of event you'd like to attend.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Awesome, Thanks.
  • Options
    Well this is an unfortunate response to what Jeff Moss said in his blog.

Researchers Now Pulling Out of DEF CON In Response To Anti-Fed Position - Slashdot
  • Options
    I interpreted Moss as advising Feds to stay away--as if there could be some riotous, anti-Fed demonstrations--not actually forbidding or banning Feds from attending DC. This story needs more development; stay tuned...
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would have never shown my face at defcon. the feds have a fat file 0n me. but now that I am one I would love to have the free time to go.
  • Options
    The Feds don't arrest people at Defcon. If the Feds wanted anyone in custody they would have already picked them up. The only excitement at Defcon is when someone tries to present information during a talk that a Federal agency doesn't want publicly-disclosed (usually for security or legal reasons).
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

You are on your way to destruction.

You have no chance to survive, make your time.
  • Options
    Apparently I am wearing a BLACK shirt, not a red shirt this year. I guess red shirts are for security and black shirts are for production. So... um... look for the blonde with a black shirt and goon badge? Because no one else at Defcon will be wearing black shirts... ;)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

corrupted by power!
    meh
  • Options
    I thought Goons were only security. I would have thought the production people were called "Trolls." icon_lol.gif

Wear a red hat and scarf; then we'll see you! icon_sunny.gif