Having issues studying

sincere11105sincere11105 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I'm studying for CCNET using Odoms book. I get most of the material. After in done, I will outline key topics and go through the DVD. The problem that I have is that I will read it today and get it. Then I'll forget the process later on or tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Just takes time and persistence. I found the early parts of CCENT to be very broad and left me asking myself a lot of questions. THe further you get into it, the more questions get answered and that helps drive home the information.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pretty typical I think. I retain certain things, but can't remember others. For instance, I ran across the term connection(less) oriented protocols yesterday and for the life of me couldn't think of what it meant. So I stopped, looked it up in the back of the book and read up on it again. Just keep writing down the key topics, watch the videos, take the practice tests you will retain more than you realize.

Also, each day before you start studying something new, skim over the previous days readings/notes before you move on. I started reading the 100-101 book a month ago and I'm just now halfway through it. When I'm done I will probably skim back over it again and reread things I don't remember.

Study to learn, not to pass the test. There is a difference.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In Odom's book, he tends to sum up the basic idea at the start of a section\paragraph and then dives into a more detailed explanation. Highlight this initial information, and continue reading. When you do your next chapter's reading, brush through the highlighted portions to freshen the information in your mind.

That's just for the theory part. The more important stuff is application. Do every exercise, and really delve into labbing with PT or with GSN3. To be honest, theory alone from a book won't get you from 0 to CCNA. You will need to do labs that cement the theory, and for that I recommend Paul Browning's stuff. It's dirt cheap on kindle now and it's worth it just for the labs. Either that or get Odom's extra lab package. I hear it's good, but I use PT and like to follow labs and make my own scenarios up as I go.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Don't just read, practice practice practice.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^
    he is right.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    I generally read a topic then spend a while googling it until I know I really understand it. I don't move on to the next topic until I know that I am 100% happy with the one I'm on. If I understand it, I remember it.

Mind you, it does help that I have an really good memory for retaining networking stuff because I actually enjoy it....if I only I could apply that to birthdays and anniversaries...
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • synergysynergy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you taking notes? Once you've read about a topic that's new to you, write about it as briefly as you can, but in enough detail that you can skim your notes before your next study session and refresh your memory. Writing it down in your own words helps solidify your understanding of the topic. Before long you won't actually need the notes because they'll be imprinted on your brain.
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odom does go over board on the details of topics. After you've gain the initial knowledge of a topic, lab until you mastered it, and quickly move on. Then review in a couple of days.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • MunsterMunster Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you pass the exam whith that book?
  • fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll type down some keypoints which have worked well for me.
    *Spaced repetitions, usually in intervals of 1-4-7-14-31 days etc. Look up 'the forgetting curve'
    *Never study for more than 55 minutes straight, devide your studies into sessions, ex. study for 55 minutes, then take a break for 10 minutes, or study for 30 minutes, then take a break for 5 minutes.
    *Drink lots of water(seriously)
    *Notes should not be copied from the book, write down your own interpretation of the material, then write questions with explanations based on the notes.(This material should then later be used for repitition.)
    *Read faster (look up speed reading). People believe you get a better understanding of the material by reading slow, however, this is wrong, speed reading increases your concentration.
    *Try to get atleast 7½ hours of sleep each night.
    *Exercise on a regular basis
    I probably forgot somethings, anyway hope this was somewhat helpful!