Options

Dual Monitor Setup

Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I was wondering I want to setup my two computers with two monitors, but I want interchange how the monitors work such as:

1. two monitors on computer 1
2. two monitors on computer 2
3. 1 monitor for each

But I want to be able to do that without physically disconnecting and reconnecting or having to buy an expensive kvm switch. Was wondering if there was a work around so that then I could do that, and use a wireless mouse/keyboard for both computers to control them. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, that is nice.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    that is nice but Damn that's expensive.
  • Options
    I see what you mean I`ll probably have to settle for a cheaper setup with a switch, and then just save up for that thanks for the info
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my 2 cents but I'm not a big fan of KVM switches. Personally, I prefer to have one decent powered desktop with lots of monitors for screen realestate (I have a quad monitor setup and will add 2 more monitors shortly). To access the other computers, I just RDP or SSH to them.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I got a cheap $20 KVM off Newegg, it works for fixing the occasional desktop.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am the same as paul78. I have one powerful machince with 3 24' monitors. I intend on getting a 4th if my poor little 560 cards can handle my needs.. else I might spend the money on a video card instead.
  • Options
    that sounds like a better idea Paul78 especially since I would not need them to be in the room. it's already hot enough in there. thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    I had built a sound enclosure as well for my equipment. Besides the heat, there is also the noise. I am actually moving the entire rack to my basement where it is cooler and the noise less of an issue. If I need access to the BIOS or bootup screens, I use a network based KVM (Avocent) which only handles low-res but sufficient for remote access to the BIOS. Same for the network gear.
  • Options
    lucky you got a basement. we don't have those in Florida so no way to escape the heat or noise that much. but I've never heard of a network based kvm.
  • Options
    Network based KVMs are common for remote access in data centers. I picked up a used one on eBay with all the dongles for a decent price. Avocent and Raritan are some of the more well known manufacturers.

Florida heat and humidity - yuck icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    That's interesting is limited to one computer per kvm or one computer per dongle? And all the dongles are connected to the kvm
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    If I am understanding this correctly, it is similar to our DC KVM. All of the connectors for one computer link to a single dongle (VGA, Mouse, Keyboard, Sound) which then merge to an ethernet connection. Run the ethernet to the main KVM and you are good to go. The KVM has ethernet access allowing you to remove into any of the connected boxes.

**EDIT**

Like THIS
  • Options
    anyway it could be wireless? unless I just do regular rdp I'm just got to have to settle for not being able to do bios settings remotely that doesn't bother me that much though
  • Options
    Right, thats what the dongles look like. I prefer the network KVM's that use them because they are neater to cable. some of the KVMs use regular monitor and keyboard cables. It's actually not ethernet. Its just a rj45 with regular cat3 or similar cabling that connects to the KVM device. I have a 16 port device so I can connect up to 16 servers to it. The KVM is IP based and most have a proprietary interface. I have an older Avocent that uses a Java based client application to access the KVM. The newer one's have a web interface.

Because the KVM is just a network device, I connect it to my switches which I also have a wireless bridge on. That's how I access that VLAN from my upstairs office.

My main use of the KVM is just so I don't have to connect a monitor and keyboard to access the BIOS or boot screens. It's really just a small luxury so I don't have to walk down a flight of stairs. I am also in the market for a remote network PDU so I can power on/off the servers from the comfort of my chair.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I use a cheaper solution with a dual-head video card and a DisplayLink USB->DVI adapter for a third monitor. The adapter makes switching between video modes a bit slow and clunky at times, but it's nothing unbearable for the price.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see so many nice network kvm's, NICE ones get thrown out! It suck so hard that I can't just bring some home. we surplus them all the time. I bought a cheep IOGear for $7.00.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I could be wrong but I don't think KVMs can display 1 monitor for each PC. I think it's just two monitors on computer 1 or two monitors on computer 2.

If I were to have a 2 monitor and 2 PC setup I would connect both the PCs to both the monitors directly and change the input on the monitor when I wanted to switch over. If I wanted to use the same mouse and keyboard on both the PCs I would use a KVM for just the USB.

Edit: This thread has got me thinking about Samsung's new devices. What if someone did something like Samsungs idea of dual OS (windows and android) and had 2 OSs on a desktop with 2 monitors that could have

windows on monitor 1 and android on monitor 2
    windows on both monitors
    android on both monitors
    and the mouse could just move to the other screen like it was one OS when they are displaying 2 different OSs
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Samsung's idea isn't particularly novel. I'm particularly interested to see how the concept fares in the marketplace.

As for your scenario - IMO - that is best accomplished using virtualization - in that case - I would still prefer my solution of having a single desktop with lots of monitors and then RDP into other computers or VMs - that what I do today on my own setup. I run a Linux host and then I have VM's that run Windows and other applications. I run 2 virtual desktops on 4 monitors. I plan to add 2 more virtual desktops on additional monitors when I get a chance on 6 monitors.