debug ip rip command output

urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
You run the command debug ip rip on your router and notice this entry:
08:08:30: RIP: build update entries
08:08:30: network 192.168.10.0 metric 16

What is this information telling you?
A. It provides the administrative distance for this route.
B. The route has exceeded its maximum hop count.
C. There are 16 hops to reach this route.
D. It establishes the route update timer parameter
E. The route will be flushed in 16 seconds.

I feel the correct answer is C. But the answer says its B! I dont understand how it can be B?

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RIP RFC wrote:
    The metric field must contain a value between 1 and 15 inclusive, specifying the current metric for the destination, or the value 16, which indicates that the destination is not reachable.

It's a subtle distinction, but your feelings happen to be off today. ;)
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    15 is the max hop count.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Seniors and Friends,
    I actually going through the 3rd edition of the Odom book and there nowhere is it mentioned that there are maximum 15 hops allowed!! Or maybe I didn't find it. Can you please tell me which page of the study guide(3rd ed.) contains this information?
    I even went through the RIP chapter 20(Routing Protocols Concepts and configuration) but didn't find these info.

Thanks
    Regards
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    urvi wrote: »
    Can you please tell me which page of the study guide(3rd ed.) contains this information?

Page 357, paragraph 2, line 5 of Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) (9781587204357): Wendell Odom: Books

See the first paragraph in this Wikipedia entry for RIP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Information_Protocol
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Hi Ivanjam,
    Thanks for the very valuable info!!
    But I am using CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide 3rd edition
    (ISBN-13:9781587204258, ISBN-10:1587204258 ).
    Please tell me the page number in the above book .
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @urvi - I have the 2nd edition of that book and, indeed, I could not find that information.

Interestingly, the first Cisco book that I read (a pretty basic volume) has it clearly spelled out on page 333: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Networking-Essentials-Troy-McMillan/dp/1118097599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373612098&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+networking+essentials

I would recommend anyone interested in learning about Cisco technology to read that book before delving into the more detailed stuff.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Hi Ivanjam,
    Sorry due net problem I cudn't post earlier. I wrongly read it. I was checking ICND1 . lol
    Ya Ivanjam I got the page! Thanks bro :)
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    urvi,

He said he was using the 3rd edition of the ICND2 book. You said you are using the ICND1 book, which he has the second edition of.

This highlights the importance of using more than one study resource. You can't just read one book and pass these exams, you need to research, google, read articles, cisco websites, etc and really understand it.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk