Options

Does anyone have some advise ... I am taking the 70-640 on July 25th

I read :
Active Directory for Dummies
MCTS Self-Paced Training kit 70-640 Configuring Server 2008 Active Directory
MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-640
MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Resource Kit

Then watched :

CBT nuggets training videos and Train Signal

Comments

• Options
    Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With all that study I would say you will be fine! I took the test twice and there was a lot on certificate templates so know what you can do with them, gpo's had 5-6 questions both times. DNS had a lot too. I did have very little on FS on both attempts and have heard there usually aren't many questions on it, it can all change from exam to exam so all the best!
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    You'll need practice exams if you want to succeed at this one. A lot of people recommend transcender. Try some practice questions (like say take 20 random questions). If you are scoring 90%+ on the practice exams you are ready. This is how I know I'm ready. Typically (and fortunately I am able to do this in my city) once i start hitting 90% I schedule the exam for the next day.
  • Options
    You'll need practice exams if you want to succeed at this one. A lot of people recommend transcender. Try some practice questions (like say take 20 random questions). If you are scoring 90%+ on the practice exams you are ready. This is how I know I'm ready. Typically (and fortunately I am able to do this in my city) once i start hitting 90% I schedule the exam for the next day.

Thanks for the heads up Transcender? ...mmm.. I will have to chec kit out
    I purchased Measure UP practice exam and also the Self-pace training kit comes with some practice test

I strongly suggest to stay away from Ucerifty
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could also use SelfTest as they are owned by Kaplan as well. They are cheaper than Transcender but just have less questions. I used them for my 2003 exams but I missed them on my 2008 exams and failed a few times. It's worth using them if you can afford to get them or get your employer to pay for them.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    You could also use SelfTest as they are owned by Kaplan as well. They are cheaper than Transcender but just have less questions. I used them for my 2003 exams but I missed them on my 2008 exams and failed a few times. It's worth using them if you can afford to get them or get your employer to pay for them.

Thanks, I will look into that ...
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully You downloaded a trial version of server 2008 and created a few VM's and did some labbing. That's what helped me. All the books. videos, and practice tests will do is prepare you for the test. If you don't play with the actual OS you will be lost when you see it in a work environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□

I read :
    Active Directory for Dummies
    MCTS Self-Paced Training kit 70-640 Configuring Server 2008 Active Directory
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-640
    MCTS 70-640 Exam Cram: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
    Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Resource Kit

Then watched :

CBT nuggets training videos and Train Signal

Were any of these the R2 editions? If none of them were r2 you might have a hard time with the exam.
  • Options
    Yes, I have A "lab".... my family uses it

I have my "main office" my house and my sister's apartment "branch office"

it is a head ache the VPN tunnel breaks once a week around 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm my sister and i have to reboot the stuff

I have two DC (Windows server 2008 R2) with one file server at the main office
    I use a Netgear UTM to build a tunnel on both sides

My sisters apartment has on RODC

I have two sites for intrasite replication

i
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    Were any of these the R2 editions? If none of them were r2 you might have a hard time with the exam.

Yes all r2 except for cram for exam they don't have a update version
    but i read up on technet for ADFS 2.0
    and dsdbutil for AD LDShttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753151(v=ws.10).aspx

I pass this beast the first time around
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Yes, I have A "lab".... my family uses it

I have my "main office" my house and my sister's apartment "branch office"

it is a head ache the VPN tunnel breaks once a week around 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm my sister and i have to reboot the stuff

I have two DC (Windows server 2008 R2) with one file server at the main office
    I use a Netgear UTM to build a tunnel on both sides

My sisters apartment has on RODC

I have two sites for intrasite replication

i

This sounds pretty good actually. When stuff breaks its good, you're getting ready for MS in the real world! ;)

Other things - Know things like FFL and DFL, difference between group policy software publishing vs assign, loopback processing, fine grained password policy, enforcement, all FSMO/operations master roles, global catalog vs membership caching, etc. If you didn't remember any of these topics as you were reading this paragraph, you are not ready. These are just what I can remember from the 640.
  • Options
    This sounds pretty good actually. When stuff breaks its good, you're getting ready for MS in the real world! ;)

Other things - Know things like FFL and DFL, difference between group policy software publishing vs assign, loopback processing, fine grained password policy, enforcement, all FSMO/operations master roles, global catalog vs membership caching, etc. If you didn't remember any of these topics as you were reading this paragraph, you are not ready. These are just what I can remember from the 640.

thanks for the heads up

good luck on your next exam

my "lab" is expensive .... very expensive
    and a technet subscription