After CCNA ...

yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello community,

I'm going to take the CCNA exam mid next month. I have a good feeling that I will pass it.

Anyway, I was wondering about the next step after CCNA. Should I try to find a job in the networking field? or should I go for another cisco certificate?

Also, which certificate would help me land a job faster CCNA security or CCDA?

Thanks,

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely go for a job. For sure, you can get a networking job with a CCNA. Nothing is better than experience. In my opinion, it might look weird on your resume having a couple certs without relevant experience. BUT, nothing prevents you from getting a job and also working on another cert at the same time :)
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just had this conversation with a CCIE I'm working with on a volunteer project. What should I tackle next... he said to focus on CCNP R&S and knock it out. From his perspective, you should have a deep understanding of R&S before you splinter off in to the specialty certifications. His point was, if you do not know how the network functions, how would you excel in the other areas? I then asked the question about not having experience but being a CCNP. He said, at least it shows you are progressing in your studies and the certification process. Even if it's not the best thing to have a CCNP without experience, it beats sitting around not working towards advancing in the career field. I agree with Jasmin :)
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually got my CCNP without much experience in IT yet for me it seems to have opened up more opportunities.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hatch1921 wrote: »
    From his perspective, you should have a deep understanding of R&S before you splinter off in to the specialty certifications. His point was, if you do not know how the network functions, how would you excel in the other areas?
    @Hatch1921 - thanks for that insight - I actually started studying CCNA Security before realizing that so many topics were just treated superficially that I would be better off doing the CCNP.
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I actually got my CCNP without much experience in IT yet for me it seems to have opened up more opportunities.
    @MrXpert - That's encouraging, thanks!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I was on the job hunt after I passed the CCNA looking for jr. network engineer positions I heard many similar things. The main thing I've always been asked if I can work with asa firewalls on asdm, making vpn's, bgp, and if I am familiar with ms visio. Just food for thought.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Definitely go for a job. Real world experience is what matters most and this is what employers will look for. You can have a lot of certs but with no hands-on it is going to be a big let down. Once that is done, you can advance with your certs. Another thing to bear in mind is that the design track is not usually recommended for people without experience. It is just something for when you level up :D . A lot of people will tell you to do CCNP first and go for CCDA/CCDP after that which is pretty smart.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    My opinion: focus on finding a job in the field. Also, your next certification should probably be the CCNP R&S. Branch out later, but having a very strong understanding of the core of networking (routing and switching) will get you far, and will make it a lot easier to learn in other areas.