Options

Quest to becoming a pentester

bsdbanditbsdbandit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working as a linux/windows admin for the past 10yrs. I'm looking to move over to into the security arena. Right now im working at a company where there is no money for training. So ive decided to become my own training. I've begun my quest to becoming a pentester by getting the CEH. on top of getting certs i've built a pentesting lab at home mixed with linux/bsd/windows with all types of services running iis apache django openldap etc etc ... My next exam im looking to take is the ECSA/LPT. my question is has anyone gone for this exam and if so what books did you guys use to the prepare for this exam.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not trying to get off topic but have you checked out the Elearn Security and Offensive Security websites?
    They provide pentesting courses along with certification testing.

eLearnSecurity - Worldwide IT Security training provider

Offensive Security Training and Professional Services

Also, have you checked into Metasploitable 2?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    bsdbanditbsdbandit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes the OSCP is the certification that im preparing for. ive signed up with the ethical hacker network https://www.ethicalhacker.net
    the reason that im going this route in the first place is b/c there is no money right now for training.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I understand. I don't have the money to take the OSCP. I did take the ECPPT and failed I was trying to take the course in the states and while I was in Russia, with a bad internet connection.

I was trying to finish my four year degree when I could have done the retry but I was told to write a "real pen test report" or something like that. I was trying to keep my grades up so that didn't work out. OSCP looks like a really tough course to go through. Plus the whole "Try Harder" thing would make me a little upset.

Thanks for putting in the link to the forum. I'm also signed up there but I don't visit that often.

Hopefully you'll be able to learn a lot of material before taking the OSCP.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bsdbandit wrote: »
    I've been working as a linux/windows admin for the past 10yrs. I'm looking to move over to into the security arena. Right now im working at a company where there is no money for training. So ive decided to become my own training. I've begun my quest to becoming a pentester by getting the CEH. on top of getting certs i've built a pentesting lab at home mixed with linux/bsd/windows with all types of services running iis apache django openldap etc etc ... My next exam im looking to take is the ECSA/LPT. my question is has anyone gone for this exam and if so what books did you guys use to the prepare for this exam.

Hi, I'm also looking at taking the ECSA. I think the cheapest option is to buy the ECSA courseware from EC-Council which cost $650. Another option is to enroll in their iClass (online training) which cost approx $1,500. I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf ECSA books. Do let me know if you find one.