Options

Need advice on my situation?

King_84King_84 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Morning Fellas,

my first post, hello to everyone.

Been reading various posts on this forum for quite sometime now so decided to register myself.

I need some advice after reading some of the posts on how well some of you are doing in the IT industry.

I graduated in 2006 with an IT degree and have been working as a 1st/2nd line support dude for the last 6 1/2 years. I'm 29 and earning near 24k. Live in Leeds. My job is dead end. In the first few years there were positive signs that things would improve but now i know they wont, no progression or promotion.

At the start of the year i passed my CCENT and have just started my ICND2 studying. I know i have been wasting time for the last 6 years and not getting any certs and now i feel really demotivated and keep thinking i'm in the wrong field. This job has really demotivated me.

I've had a few interviews in the last 2years but i've been unsuccessful. My interviews go well but it seems like there's someone always better than me.

What do i do? Do i carry on and get my CCNA? Anyone been in a similar situation to me?

I would love to get a entry level Cisco related job but very few appear on job sites near me.

I'm also hoping to study for the MCSA 2012 next month.

Replies would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Hello and welcome!

What were your job responsibilities for those 6 and a half years? In case they are somewhat relevant to your goal, you have what people want - experience! Also, you have a degree. Now all you have to do is back it up with a few certs and things should be looking good. With these, you shouldn't have much trouble getting a better job and advancing in the field.

Are you aiming for a network/server admin job?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Hello and welcome!

What were your job responsibilities for those 6 and a half years? In case they are somewhat relevant to your goal, you have what people want - experience! Also, you have a degree. Now all you have to do is back it up with a few certs and things should be looking good. With these, you shouldn't have much trouble getting a better job and advancing in the field.

Are you aiming for a network/server admin job?

My job responsibilties were/are Network Administration and Support. Exchange, Server 2008 etc.

What i'm aiming for is a Network Admin job but obviously go in much deeper than an admin. Preferably Cisco related jobs. if possible. Wasted a lot of time havent i!!!!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Don't worry, it is not too late. A lot of people have the certs but not the experience. In this case things really aren't that bad. IMHO, getting a CCNA and a CCNP after that will lend you what you want. You can get further after that. But definitely start working on the CCNA.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Don't worry, it is not too late. A lot of people have the certs but not the experience. In this case things really aren't that bad. IMHO, getting a CCNA and a CCNP after that will lend you what you want. You can get further after that. But definitely start working on the CCNA.

If i do CCNA and then CCNP do you think i stand a good chance of getting a decent Cisco job?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Much of it depends on your experience. A lot of people have CCNA with no experience and struggling. But then again, someone people just have a bad resume.

You said you have experience generally in "Network Administration / Support, Exchange, Win2008"... so you do bring experience with you - which is a damn good start and having a CCNA / CCNP should certainly make it a bit easier.

But like I say - a lot depends on your resume as well so maybe post it here (by removing all personal information) so people can comment on it. A lot of people have been in the same boat as you and can certainly give you more tips / hints etc.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p