Options

Do you find CBT Nuggets off topic and over simplified?

SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
My friend just signed up for the monthly membership for CBT nuggets, and he had me watch it. I honestly found that the content was over-simplified, and the narrator goes really off-topic many times. Has anyone else noticed it or is it just me? I was thinking of buying it because of all the great reviews I read here, but I just didn't like it.

I am mainly self-studying, but thought it would be nice to have some videos as well. Anyone have any alternatives? I'm not knocking the service by the way, just giving an opinion.
~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog

Comments

• Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've noticed that if it's Jeremy as the trainer he can sometimes wonder off, which often distracts me. But when hes on point, hes great.

You can find free CCNA at ine, Brian McGahan teaches that.
  • Options
    t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On the CBT nugget vids being "over simplified"....I'd say that's sort of the gist of the videos; to break the concepts down to a really simplified level. I believe that if you feel that the videos are too simplified, you should look at some CCNP and CCIE level videos. I usually do that when I watch a cbt vid and find that it was too basic. You should check out Youtube channels from CCIEs, they get pretty deep into things.

As far as going off topic..I do notice the occasional tangents here and there, but not to the point of no return.

Overall, the videos are great, but definitely not the end all be all. I strongly recommend looking at CCNP, CCIE level videos.

...just my .2
    2015 Certification Goals:
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • Options
    Maybe I just haven't given it enough time to understand how they teach. I will also look at the higher level videos as extra material. I'm sure my friend would enjoy hanging out and watching some haha.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use CBTs for breaking a knowledge barrier with a new topic, then I will read Odoms book to finalise it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I use CBTs for breaking a knowledge barrier with a new topic, then I will read Odoms book to finalise it.

Exactly this.

If I'm learning something new, I watch a video to get my head into the core concept, then read a book to learn the details.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The off topic stuff Jeremy gets into is completely true. But on the other hand, I have seen trainsignal and INE stuff, and for the most part all they do is read a slide to you. I'd rather just read a ppt then pay for some narrator. That's my opinion though. There are other good trainers don't get me wrong, but to me, video training is only meant to supplement your experience + book + labs training. The videos should be used to get a better grip on the subject, as just training alone can leave some doubt on more harder to understand concepts. So to me in that regard, Jeremy is the perfect video mentor.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like Jeremy and think the nuggets are great as long as you understand they are not there to teach you the entirety of the material. If that was the case he'd just have to read the book to you. What they are is an excellent introduction to subjects and a nice change of pace from having your head buried in the books. Any video training should not be your main source of study.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I like Jeremy and think the nuggets are great as long as you understand they are not there to teach you the entirety of the material. If that was the case he'd just have to read the book to you. What they are is an excellent introduction to subjects and a nice change of pace from having your head buried in the books. Any video training should not be your main source of study.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Now I understand a little more about the idea behind CBT Nuggets. Now it's difficulty makes sense, since it is supposed to be used to get the core concepts down. I'm fine with my book and self study, but I will look "The Bryant Advantage" to see what kind of material that covers.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jeremy's video's are good for making those a-ha! moments. He breaks a topic down so the concept is understood which makes reading the cisco press books a lot easier. The bryant advantage is a good read he doesn't dumb it down but presents the information in a simple manner that doesn't read like gibberish filled with the techno babble that can be confusing for a newbie. I say read the bryant book then go into the cisco press books for certain topics to get a deeper understanding.
  • Options
    neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do any of these training videos have all the material you need to pass the exam?
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]
  • Options
    I haven't seen INE's CCNA video but I could tell the Cbtnugget is not enough its an overview and misses some topics. The bryant advantage videos go over exactly what he has written in his book but good luck staying awake. He talks like the teacher from ferris bueller day off, "bueller...bueller.....bueller". You'll have to read the material these videos are not going to go over every detail.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    neolight90 wrote: »
    Do any of these training videos have all the material you need to pass the exam?

None that I have seen unless you find a video of someone reading a book word for word.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    A simple video series like CBT, combined with an in depth book like Odom's + simulator or lab. Should be enough material.

I did all of that, plus I saw the trainsignal series that Bryant did. I took all my notes with the bryant series, that was sort of the first part of my final review. I followed Odom's advice on how to use the book for training, CBT was perfect for mastering subnetting, I just added personal techniques to it for speed. I didn't even have to cover any of Odom's subnetting chapters.

For practice, and measuring my knowledge, I first used modules from Cisco Learning Network, which had a bunch of mock tests or quizzes. That really helped me tons. Lots of review in between the modules, configs and then the day before I did maybe around 3 practice tests. That helped me focus.

All I can say is it helped me. But I'll admit my total training time well surpassed 200 hrs just for CCENT, I couldn't afford to fail the exam so I studied extra hard.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I haven't seen INE's CCNA video but I could tell the Cbtnugget is not enough its an overview and misses some topics. The bryant advantage videos go over exactly what he has written in his book but good luck staying awake. He talks like the teacher from ferris bueller day off, "bueller...bueller.....bueller". You'll have to read the material these videos are not going to go over every detail.

In contrast I actually enjoy listening to Chris Bryant. Must be his Southern Huckleberry Hound accent that does it for me.:)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the CBT nuggets more engaging...and yes Jeremy wanders off at the time but in my opinion that's what makes it great to watch because he always backtracks and gets on the right path.
  • Options
    @Mrexpert Your a better man then me. I tried multiple times but its not as engaging I always catch my self dozing off.
  • Options
    zepol87zepol87 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I enjoy CBT Nuggets, I watch the video before reading the chapter in Odoms book and it really helps the topics covered sink in even more.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    In contrast I actually enjoy listening to Chris Bryant. Must be his Southern Huckleberry Hound accent that does it for me.:)

I like that Southern Huckleberry accent too. I guess that from my Southern roots. I like the networking stuff I do without the fluff and get right to the information.
  • Options
    SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DCD wrote: »
    I like that Southern Huckleberry accent too. I guess that from my Southern roots. I like the networking stuff I do without the fluff and get right to the information.
    I am from New England but have been in Florida a few years. I find his way a speaking helps to zap me back into paying attention. I just purchased the Udemy CCNA vids by him two days ago. There is an offer that is even better than the $44.00. It popped up on my screen when I was checking out the course. 75% off, it came to about $31.00 for life time viewing of the Bulldog CCNA bootcamp. I am going to view this as I go through the subjects and in about a month I will probably do the Trainsignals $49.00 a month right before I get the Boson Examsim and then take the ICND2. Then with the Trainsignals I can start on my next cert.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    Exactly this.

If I'm learning something new, I watch a video to get my head into the core concept, then read a book to learn the details.

That's what i generally do, believe me those training videos cannot cover all concept for you to pass, reading the book is always key, you wont get better knowledge from just watching a video that's the truth about it, it doesn't matter if it's professor Messor or CBT nuggets.

Well i do agree with Soliton, they sometime wonder off topic sometimes but sometimes you must understand why they are going off topic it's not just to distract you, i think they are trying to aid in your understanding of concept that's all.
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have watched and used the training resources under discussion, and agree that sometimes the presenters may go off on a tangent, but they always manage to bring it back to the topic. Having said that, I am an educator as well, and try very hard to avoid a dry and stiff style of lecturing for technical material, and will attempt to intersperse my presentations with humor, and real-world examples. By this approach I find that the students remain engaged, aren't going to the restroom every 5 minutes, aren't nodding off, eyes glazed over, or hearing me like Charlie Brown's teacher....[video=youtube_share;ss2hULhXf04]http://youtu.be/ss2hULhXf04[/video]
  • Options
    urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find it too boring and sometimes misleading as well! One video on vlan showed the number of possible vlans as 4096 whereas it is 4094! It didn't mention anything about vlan0 and vlan 4095,why they are reserved ,what they are used for among all those blah-blahs. Jeremy talks about so many things but misses out important points.
    That's why I rarely use CBT nuggets Jeremy Cioara CCNA videos!
    The person is a good presentor no doubt but it seems to me like watching some comedy movie ! lol