Options

dynamic auto and other end trunk

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
what will happen if one end of the router is set to dynamic auto and other end router is set to trunk? Will they trunk or not?

Comments

• Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You mean switches, yes they will trunk.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DCD wrote: »
    You mean switches, yes they will trunk.

lol, One of my goals before taking the test is to pay attention to the words. I'm a fast reader and tend to glance at them without catching what they are. I think this will be harder for me than learning this stuff.
  • Options
    Oh I got confused,does routers do trunking?
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Routers do trunking for inter-VLAN routing (router on a stick). But they don't do DTP, so there is no "dynamic auto".
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    Hi eva,
    I think it should be VTP and not DTP. Don't remember reading about DTP till now. :-p
    BTW,if there is anything called DTP what is the diff between the 2?

Also,I dont think Trunk + Auto = Trunk.
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    VLAN Trunking Protocol is the method of Cisco switches telling each other about VLANs, where as Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP) is the method of Cisco switches dynamically negotiating a trunk port.

If I remember rightly, the CCNA doesn't actually talk about the specifics of DTP, but the 5 port modes (access, trunk, dynamic auto, dynamic desirable and nonegotiate) are actually part of DTP.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, a link set to dynamic auto and the other end set to trunk WILL, in fact, trunk. All dynamic auto means is that end of the link will not initiate the trunking process. It just sits and waits until the other end asks it if it wants to trunk. When the other end tries to negotiate trunking, it automatically accepts. So if the other end is set to trunk, it will indeed trunk. It will also trunk if the other end were set to dynamic desirable. When dynamic desirable is the mode on one end of the link, that means the link 'desires' to be a trunk so it will initiate the process. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take two switches, connect them and see what happens when you configure it!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%