Options

CISM application - work experience question.. please help! :)

fredalofredalo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm one of the happy people who have just received the exam results and are now in the process of completing the CISM application form :)

I need to ask for your help in regards the "verification of work experience" I need to complete to send my application ahead..

One of the requirement is that my work experience must be broad and gained in three of the four CISM job practice areas. On the "verification of work experience" module, there is a list of sub-activities under each of the practice areas (9 under practice area one, two, three and 10 under practice area four).

Is it required that all sub-activities under a practice area are "flagged" in order to meet the requirements?

If I had experience in all four job practice areas, but not all sub-activities were flagged, would this be acceptable?

During my past job experience, I have gained 7 years of experience on both information security management (4.5) and general information security (2.5) fields. For this reason my work experience had been focused on different job practice areas.. Therefore, I don't know if my previous employer will be keen to complete the form including job practice areas which I have been involved for only part of my work experience..

Will I need to prepare two different forms, one for information security management experience and one for general information security?

Many many thanks,
Fredalo

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The activities under the job practice areas are your description of what you do to qualify for work experience in that specific job area. You do not need to have performed all those activities.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    The activities under the job practice areas are your description of what you do to qualify for work experience in that specific job area. You do not need to have performed all those activities.
    Thank you Paul78! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    dganeshramdganeshram Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All, I am also filling out the CISM Certification Application. I have a question about the 5 year experience. Can i put all my 5 years' experience in Information Security Management and none in General Security ? I also have a Security+ Certification.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's correct. You don't have to list any years in General Information Security.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »

Hi, thank you again for yours answer.

I am completing my form, and it is coming out an average of 4 flagged sub-sctivities out of 9 for each section... Just to ask for other people experience on this,..

Many thanks,
    Fredalo
  • Options
    fredalo wrote: »

I am completing my form, and it is coming out an average of 4 flagged sub-sctivities out of 9 for each section... Just to ask for other people experience on this,..

Many thanks,
    Fredalo

Hi all,
    sorry if I keep going on this.. :)

Just another question.. Will I need to include my CV in the documentation I will send to apply for the certification?

Many thanks
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Hi all,
    sorry if I keep going on this.. :)

Just another question.. Will I need to include my CV in the documentation I will send to apply for the certification?

Many thanks

I sent my CISA application in yesterday, no CV/Resume. You do need someone to verify your work history and domain experience. A direct supervisor at work is ideal for this.
  • Options
    kenyrgkenyrg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I sent my CISA application in yesterday, no CV/Resume. You do need someone to verify your work history and domain experience. A direct supervisor at work is ideal for this.
    LarryDaMan wrote: »

Hi LarryDaman,

Please your help. Were you audited anytime? you were asked to show some documents.
    I'm just applying for CISM.
  • Options
    pch5322pch5322 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone explain why the work experience on page A-2 must be "rounded down to whole year"? If I spent 1 year & 8 months at a job, I can only count 12 months toward my work experience? What if I had a 6 month internship?
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That applies to CISA, not CISM. That being said, I have no earthly clue why they require you to round down to the nearest year.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
  • Options
    FauconFaucon Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Many thanks,
    Fredalo

Hi everybody,

How it's finaly with the number of sub activities that are to check on the application form? They are a minimum number to match per area?

Thanks.
    Best regards.

Faucon