Options

I don't like MAC, but OSX is the best overall operating system.....

coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
I had plenty of hate for MAC, blindly. Once I used OSX Snow Leopard I was like goodness; I tried so many linux distros. This is exactly what I need.....

I got 2 old imacs now(to fix - video card crapped out on both).... I feel dirty lol.
Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!

Comments

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mac is where it's at. I've had an iMac for 5 years and I just got a new Air 13" and I love it. It's light, fast, and the OS does everything I want with 13 hour battery life in real life usage. So far I haven't had any compromises or anything I couldn't accomplish.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I feel the ultimate freedom is OS X, because I can virtualize Win and Lin there as well. Of course OS X is a unix derivative so I might not need to, but just incase. And yes you can virtualize OS X on Win with a bit of hacking, but it isn't sanctioned.

3 worlds are better than 1.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    do you guy's say it as OS "EX" lol
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I used Mac OS 9 and for some reason when 10 came out I started pronouncing it as "Ex".
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Personally I went from MAC OS to Ubuntu. The learning curve is slim on Linux/Unix variations compared to microsoft stuff.
  • Options
    I went from mostly Microsoft background kind of opposite from you. I am not bad with linux and I love the functionality/usability from it (cli, centralized package management). The GUI is what drawn me in; the similarity between Linux and OSX is what I love. I still have Windows 8 / Arch Linux (hardcore!) on my desktop so I still get some linux action hehe.

I am in the process of finishing my amd a8 apu hackintosh (on the cheap, lol)
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would buy an OSX license for a VM, but I refuse to buy their overpriced hardware.
    And I don't want to break the law.
    So, Windows and Linux for me.

• Options
    If you buy Snow Leopard Cd and install, upgrade to 10.6.8 then get Lion or Mountain Lion from the app store. Not stealing :)
  • Options
    010101 wrote: »
    I would buy an OSX license for a VM, but I refuse to buy their overpriced hardware.
    And I don't want to break the law.
    So, Windows and Linux for me.

Take into account that I'm a fanboy but I think I've gotten more than my money's worth out of my 09 iMac. I've done pretty much everything on it I have also done on my dell desktop I bought about 6 months later for labbing. The Dell desktop is now sitting in a scrap pile because the motherboard is bad, the hard drive failed, etc. The iMac runs all my lab VMs in VMware Fusion, is my media server, plays the games I like from Steam, and still is as responsive as the day I got it. I paid 1300 in 2009 for it and still don't feel the need to replace it. I paid 700 for the Dell and it was essentially dead just outside of the extended warranty period.

The way I look at it is it's overpriced on day 1 but if you buy after a refresh and take care of your stuff you will get years of use out of the machine. I can still install OS "Ex" upgrades and it runs great on 4GB of RAM.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm done buying "cheap" computers/laptops/tablets etc Windows, Android or Mac. Computer manufacturers keep changing their lineups every year due to sales figures rather than focus on improving something that they know works is why I went from good experiences with Dell years ago to two bad experiences with their laptops the past few years.

I can see why people were loyal to IBM Thinkpads for a long time.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm the opposite of most people in this thread. I've never cared for Mac OS, but the last few generations of hardware have been fantastic (not without flaws, but good overall), and in my opinion superior to any other computer OEM. Overpriced, perhaps, but at some point the money is worth not having to make concessions. My next laptop will probably be a Haswell 15'' MacBook Pro with Retina.

That being said, I'm going to give the OS another shot if and when I do buy a Mac. I'm just not convinced I'll really be any more productive in OSX than Windows.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    do you guy's say it as OS "EX" lol

TEN!
    TEN!
    TEN!

Good lord it bugs me when people say 'X'!
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I like the os however id never pay that price for an os ... i can get linux distros to do what i need very close to what osx can do for 1/4 of the total price
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    OSX is very stable and resourceful.
    I really stopped liking ubuntu once it made Unity like the primary shell interface

After that I switched to slackware
    But currently I dont deal much with linux at work so I dont use it
    meh
  • Options
    TEN!
    TEN!
    TEN!

Good lord it bugs me when people say 'X'!
    i'm not a huge mac fan, i was just giving you guys a hard time lol, i hate it too! lol
  • Options
    and its not MAC you don't like its Apple
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen at least one case where hardware that worked on 10.6 will not work with 10.8, known incompatibility, and there are no plans to fix it.
    I can no longer trust the words "OS 10.x or higher" i now need specific versions to be listed.
    Having seen both worlds, I have no preference for either Mac or PC, however many of the games I enjoy will only work on one of those.
    I choose Winblows (better gaming hardware options for less $)
    If I were a bit more artsy I'd probably lean toward the Mac.

We use Linux at work, so as long as I can SSH , I really don't care about what OS I use.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Too bad you can't legally virtualize it outside of Apple hardware. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I like the os however id never pay that price for an os ... i can get linux distros to do what i need very close to what osx can do for 1/4 of the total price

Hey man, you pay for the shininess :) shiny , shiny I tell you. That's why I like it compared to ubuntu or mint -- takes forever to customize it the way I want.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Too bad you can't legally virtualize it outside of Apple hardware. icon_rolleyes.gif

What do you mean, I will finish my Hackintosh build and i'll let you know if I can run Vmware Fusion on it.
  • Options
    What he's saying is that you can't legally create a VM of OSX in VMware Workstation or ESXi. It is against the terms of the software to install OSX anywhere that isn't a certified Mac system, Hackintosh included.

You can definitely run fusion on OSX and then run linux or Windows. I do that as a workaround to get vSphere client since there isn't an OSX compatible client and the web interface leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Ah, I gotcha! I don't think I won't continue my hackintosh build :)
  • Options
    h@ck1tHu7chh@ck1tHu7ch Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not much of a Mac user myself. Used to have one back in the G4 processor days when I made an effort to step up my turn-table game to MIDI controllers...but haven't gotten one since that one pooped out on me. My potential future employer (assuming I get hired) is offering a free Mac...so I may be back onboard with the OSX soon...
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows or Linux for me, I'd rather spend less money overclock the hell out it. If somebody gave me a decent Mac then I am sure I would use it but I certainly wouldn't spend that amount on them that's just me though
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One of the most enjoyable computers I had was a mac mini I bought when they first came out. I could not play as many games with it or run a lot of software on it that I had bought for windows, but that turned out to be fine I would just use my win pc when I needed it. I no longer have the Mac Mini, but I miss it sometimes. The past few years I have been running a lot of things on Linux instead. I mainly use a Linux laptop these days that I carry everywhere. I will take it to the library or McDonald's and take advantage of the free WiFi. I have been thinking about cutting out my internet all together since I can get it free at the library. I will even take my Linux laptop on trips to. The laptop use to run windows XP, but since the hardware is so old it won't run windows 7 all that well. I decided to wipe windows clean and put on Linux instead. This old laptop is running a lot faster under Linux and is not being slowed down to a crawl by one of Microsoft’s newer operating systems. I might get another Mac sometime, but since right now I am extremely broke I am really enjoying using a free operating system.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula