Options

CCNA study materials

LindtLindt Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

I was searching for materials this week to aid me in studying towards a CCNA certification. I noticed, however that there is a new exam format (yep i know this was announced ages ago but I've only recently researched CCNA!) and I'm curious what the best method of study would be for this new format?

I'm looking at doing ICND1 and 2 separately and I believe some new topics have been introduced in ICND1 such as ACL's, IPv6, NAT, etc.

Initially I'd been looking at obtaining the following:
  • CCNA book by Todd Lammle (seems to be the most recommended from research)
  • GNS3 emulator (can't really afford to buy the kit at the moment)
  • Videos - Bryant Advantage, Keith Barker, etc. (was recommended CBT Nuggests but again I'm a bit skint)
I've noticed that Todd Lammle has yet to release a new book on the new format, so I'm not sure whether to wait? The thing is there doesn't seem to be alot of materials about on the new format and I'm wondering if somoeone can point me in the right direction.

Also which free videos do you think are best to aid the book?

Apologies If I'm duplicating other posts, but I looked through a number of threads and could not find the exact answer I wanted.

Appreciate your help.

Lindt

Comments

• Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been studying Odoms new 100-101 book for over a month now and while it is full of information and probably as dry as some people say its also full of typos. They say Lammle is easier to read so its up to you really if you want to wait.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No matter how many times Odom releases a new book or gets them reprinted they are always have a large number of errors. It is like a force of nature. If Odom released a book which had no more than 3 errors I'd think the world had gone mad:)

Ahem...best stay on topic.yes back to sources. Well have you looked at Aaron's Router Alley guide? it is free and fairly easy to digest.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want Lammle, he posted on a blog that his new CCENT book will release in August with the CCNA book releasing in October. I passed CCENT with Odom's book combined with trainsignal and CBT as far as content. Used Cisco Learning Network a lot too, lots of good stuff there, I especially liked the practice test modules. I used Packet Tracer at home, and I used actual equipment at the university.
  • Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    INE has the most in depth video series. To top it off, it is free for streaming... hard to beat that price.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have both Odom's and Lammle's books for the old tests. I think Lammle covers alot of stuff that might not be on the test, but is good to know (Password Recovery, Configuring Wireless on a Cisco 800 series, etc...), particularly at the ICND1 (CCENT) level. He does cover a few things that Odom doesn't, though which makes his book worth reading. But, when it comes to ICND2 topics, he does not go into as much detail as Odom.

I just finished Lammle's CCNA book, having previously read both of Odom's books and Lammle didn't go into anywhere near the detail that Odom did for Spanning-Tree (RSTP) or Frame Relay (Global DLCIs and LMI). I'm now rereviewing Odom's chapters on those two topics. I personally would suggest that if you can you should read both Odom's and Lammle's books. Looking back, I probably would go with Lammle's first, then let Odom's book fill in the gaps.

One thing that I didn't like with Lammle's book was how he would touch on a topic, move on to other related topics and then circle back to the previous topic. This made it a bit harder to take notes since I would like to keep all my notes on one topic (e.g. EtherChannel, Frame Relay, etc...) together. For example, he briefly discussed EtherChannel, then moved on to other Switching topics, and then circled back to EtherChannel later in the chapter with more details. So, I frequently ended up having to copy my previous notes to a new page to allow me to continue them.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    LindtLindt Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

I think I will couple Aarons Router Alley Guide with the INE video series.

Will then use the GNS3 emulator for labs.

I think the above materials are only going to cover me for the old CCNA format so once Lammle's new book comes out I'll buy that, by which that time I've hopefully covered alot of the content.

May also invest in Odom's book if I have the cash!

Thanks again!
    Lindt