Options

Teksystems question

SoulSearcherSoulSearcher Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
How much do you think Teksystems is charging the company I work for an hour? Teksystems pays me 14 an hour. I live in South Carolina if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you do exactly? I would say they are charging the company at least $25 an hour if not more.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    help desk / network admin assistant.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I agree with danny069. My experience is that is runs between 20 and 60 percent based on the job. (I have seen temps in construction and in IT) If you are curious why a company would ever want to pay that much more instead of just bringing you on to the company, it is because that is usually still cheaper than benefits.
  • Options
    Yeah. I'd rather the company just hire me as an independent contractor and pay me a dollar or two less than what they pay Teksystems. That way, I get more and they save...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll want to look at your contract, that may not actually be allowed. It also might be in tek's contract as well.
  • Options
    Yeah I think your right. But a guy I worked with did it. At the end of his contract, teksystems asked him whether he wanted another one and he just said that our company offered a full time position and teksystems left it at that even though he meant independent contracting.
  • Options
    Ok my contract says:

Restrictive Covenant - In consideration of the terms of employment and the efforts and costs inccured by TEKSYSTEMS, you agree you shall not solicit Client or engage in a like or similar profession or occupation at Client's facility or any other facility at which you are directed to or actually perform services under this agreement, either directly or indirectly, for a period of one hundred eight (180) days following the termination of your employment under the terms of this agreement, unless specific written authorization has been obtained from TEKSYSTEMS.

This is a contract to hire position. How can I not engage in similar profession after the contract then?
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SoulSearcher - What part of SC do you live in? I've worked for both Teksystems and TMFloyd (both are prominent in SC) and the usual way they do things is charge the company you work for around double your salary (give or take a dollar). Also, depending on the company you are working for, it is BETTER to remain as a contractor than get hired on as permanent. What I've witnessed in the past while working at a major insurance company in SC *cough cough* is that they will hire the contractors on as permanent only to lay them off a few months later. In SC, it's a right to work state and they can give any reason they want. Working for the contacting company means if they do this, you will be on their "bench" and they will help you get another job quicker.
    I'm not saying where you are this will happen and this is the ideal situation. I'm just saying, weigh the options and dont be so quick to jump to perm unless you know the company you are working at is stable and likes you.
    Teksystems are pretty good, but I didnt really care for others. I always received the highest reviews you could get from my company managers and when bonus time came the contracting company ACTUALLY took part of it. I didnt think it was legal or ethical, but they did. That's the last time I have worked for one. Watch your back and good luck.
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    Breadfan wrote: »
    SoulSearcher - What part of SC do you live in? I've worked for both Teksystems and TMFloyd (both are prominent in SC) and the usual way they do things is charge the company you work for around double your salary (give or take a dollar). Also, depending on the company you are working for, it is BETTER to remain as a contractor than get hired on as permanent. What I've witnessed in the past while working at a major insurance company in SC *cough cough* is that they will hire the contractors on as permanent only to lay them off a few months later. In SC, it's a right to work state and they can give any reason they want. Working for the contacting company means if they do this, you will be on their "bench" and they will help you get another job quicker.
    I'm not saying where you are this will happen and this is the ideal situation. I'm just saying, weigh the options and dont be so quick to jump to perm unless you know the company you are working at is stable and likes you.
    Teksystems are pretty good, but I didnt really care for others. I always received the highest reviews you could get from my company managers and when bonus time came the contracting company ACTUALLY took part of it. I didnt think it was legal or ethical, but they did. That's the last time I have worked for one. Watch your back and good luck.

I definitely have no gripes with Teksystems, but if the company I work for is paying teksystems almost double, I'd rather them be paying ME that minus a dollar or two, haha. The company I work for is going to keep me regardless of how they have to do it. I'd just rather them pay less and me get paid more if at all possible. Not as a payroll employee but as an INDEPENDENT contractor.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I definitely have no gripes with Teksystems, but if the company I work for is paying teksystems almost double, I'd rather them be paying ME that minus a dollar or two, haha. The company I work for is going to keep me regardless of how they have to do it. I'd just rather them pay less and me get paid more if at all possible. Not as a payroll employee but as an INDEPENDENT contractor.

I just don't know that they'll go for it, outside of being under contract with Teksystems anyway. I mean they use the temp company so they can save money on recruiting, benefits, etc, they probably don't even had a system in place to pay you as a 1099 independent contractor. So what would be in it for the company to save a dollar an hour and have to change your whole employement/payment system?

If they choose to hire you on full time they'll probably have to pay Tek to do it, they might pay you more but they probably won't pay you what they were paying a temp company for your time.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I just don't know that they'll go for it, outside of being under contract with Teksystems anyway. I mean they use the temp company so they can save money on recruiting, benefits, etc, they probably don't even had a system in place to pay you as a 1099 independent contractor. So what would be in it for the company to save a dollar an hour and have to change your whole employement/payment system?

If they choose to hire you on full time they'll probably have to pay Tek to do it, they might pay you more but they probably won't pay you what they were paying a temp company for your time.

The only reason why I thought it could be an option is because my co-worker did it successfully. He said his whole financial situation changed for the better when it happened. But the job was labeled as "Contract to Hire". Why would the client just keep me on at Teksystems if it was a "...to Hire" job?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @SoulSearcher

generally what will happen is that the company will pay TekSystems a fee to break the contract and hire you. Once TekSystems is paid the fee, which is generally predefined, you are no longer required to wait 180 days.

The "..to hire" part basically means they can fire you if they don't like you or if the position is no longer needed without having to worry about unemployment or justification. Temp to hire is a protection for the company to ensure you are worth the cost. If you aren't, then there are no hoops to jump through, they simply axe you.
  • Options
    @SoulSearcher

generally what will happen is that the company will pay TekSystems a fee to break the contract and hire you. Once TekSystems is paid the fee, which is generally predefined, you are no longer required to wait 180 days.

Ok that makes sense then. Maybe thats what my co-worker did.
  • Options
    +1 what About7Narwhal said. Some say it's sneaky what the contracting/recruitment companies do, but it's all nice and neatly explained in your interview process and the contract you sign.

Companies which use contracting companies save money on the benefit packages they have to provide from the HR dept. You get this from your contracting company. Some companies will use this as a method to lowball you. What I mean by this is, if they were to hire you for x dollars and you were thinking it was going to be higher, they can say well, we've factored in the benefit package and bonus as part of your salary. I hope this doesnt happen to you. If you've done a great job as a contractor then you should be good enough for a decent upgrade once you go to permanent. It wont be anywhere near what the contracting company was charging, b/c that's usually a negotiated rate for most every one they bring in, but they should be able to bump you up good. Do some research on Indeed.com and others like it to see what you should be making for your position in your area. Here in SC, the salary is much lower than Georgia and other places nearby.
    Also, just make sure you and the coworkers dont discuss "specifics" when it comes to salary and whatnot. In places I've worked, they have thrown people out the door for discussing raises, salaries, etc. at the lunch table. I always just sit and smile and never reveal anything. It can never lead to anything good for your coworkers to know what each other makes and who did and didnt get a bonus.
    Mark Twain

• Options
    How should I go about talking to my supervisor (from the client) about what happens next? I'd rather work for the client directly. My contract ends in a little less than 3 weeks. But no one on either side has said anything to me. I'm sure teksystems will soon but I need to plan ahead.
  • Options
    Do you have a good relationship with your boss? If so, ask him if you can talk to him informally about the contract ending in a few weeks time and you are little worried about where you stand. If he's honest with you he tell you (if he can) what the next step is. I'm sure he knows you like working there and you are doing a good job so that shouldnt be an issue. Teksystems is only out to look out for themselves. It's a business for them. But if your boss has been there awhile and likes his job, then he should want to look out for his subordinates.
    Like I said be honest with him and hopefully he will be honest with you. I also wouldnt give him "too much" honesty unless you guys have all had candid conversations in the past and you feel comfortable doing so. HTH....
    Mark Twain

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    @SoulSearcher

I have worked with TekSystems here in Illinois and my friend has a job with them that was contract to hire as well. My case I found a job before they could find one for me but my friend he had a contact with this company.

When his contract was almost up he did just what was mentioned above. He spoke to his supervisor about wondering basically if he was going to stay or not and they ended up hiring him and paying the end of contract fee to TekSystems and he is still there. All you can do is ask like was said before be honest but dont give out too much. Just find out where you stand.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    @SoulSearcher

I have worked with TekSystems here in Illinois and my friend has a job with them that was contract to hire as well. My case I found a job before they could find one for me but my friend he had a contact with this company.

When his contract was almost up he did just what was mentioned above. He spoke to his supervisor about wondering basically if he was going to stay or not and they ended up hiring him and paying the end of contract fee to TekSystems and he is still there. All you can do is ask like was said before be honest but dont give out too much. Just find out where you stand.

ok so I talked to both my Teksystems recruiter and my boss. My boss says the only way he can hire me on as an independent contract would be to get the written permission from teksystems (which it states in the contract) or get a new Teksystems contract for 6 months without that clause and then when it ends, hire me in for independent contracting.

My recruiter said there would be no problem if my boss hired me as a Full time employee but there is no room in the head count for that at the moment.

What are the chances I can get this written permission paper from Teksystems to release me from that Restrictive Covenant? If the client had the room, teksystems would lose me anyways so why not let me go independent? My recruiter told me he would call my boss this week and discuss some ways to get around the 180 day restriction.

(This teksystems office is very legit and I have no complaints about them at all. I have read so many bad stories about teksystems offices around the country really handling their contractors in a bad way. This is most definitely not one of them. I have always been paid on time and all my emails and questions answered within hours.)