Options

A.S. or A.A.S. before WGU?

stephenjakimstephenjakim Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
would it be better to get an A.S. in information technology or an A.A.S. at NOVA and then transferring to WGU? which would be easier? the A.A.S. obviously has more IT classes that would possible be able to waive off some extra classes at WGU maybe.

im having a hard time taking these gen ed classes and am really just trying to get the degree for the extra few lines on the resume.

any advice?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I recall correctly, an A.S. will transfer all the way in, clearing more of the general education classes, while most of the AAS will transfer in, clearing most of the general education classes.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just don't see much logic in doing it. Unless you plan on taking WGU at a glacial pace or your two-year degree is charging under $200/credit, WGU is actually cheaper than community and technical colleges. It's also most likely faster to complete WGU by just going to WGU, rather than going elsewhere just to transfer in.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^ A good point. The tuition at my community college is now $109/credit. If a person qualifies for FA, then the AS/ AAS degree is a good option.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I just graduated with an A.S. from my local cc in May and start WGU in August. Originally, I was attempting an A.A.S., until I did some research about what classes transfer to WGU. When I learned more classes transferred in with A.S., I switched.

If you are having a hard time with the GE classes, I would advise to stick with a cc to bang them out (if price/value is there). I would imagine they would be even harder for you at WGU just because how the school is structured. I would also advise to do your last few semesters 100% online at your cc to help prepare you for WGU's online competency based approach. Good luck!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    stephenjakimstephenjakim Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At NOVA, its around $140/credit I think. I've been going to my CC for the past 4-5 years on an off taking a few classes, failing some as well.

I noticed on WGU's website is for credit transfers, they have to be acquired within 5 years, and obviously by the time i graduate from the CC if I end up finishing, i fear that I will pass the 5 year mark.

At that point, what should I do?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At NOVA, its around $140/credit I think. I've been going to my CC for the past 4-5 years on an off taking a few classes, failing some as well.

I noticed on WGU's website is for credit transfers, they have to be acquired within 5 years, and obviously by the time i graduate from the CC if I end up finishing, i fear that I will pass the 5 year mark.

At that point, what should I do?

The 5 year mark is for IT courses if you're going for an IT major, not general ed courses. I transferred a bunch of classes from the late 90s but lost my IT classes and certs that were over 5 years old.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My opinion, for what's worth, because I am looking at WGU also. I'm a student at a local cc for Network Administration. I would pay just over $100/credit, but get financial aid as a single parent. I'd consider the price per credit and any life circumstances you might have to make a decision. If it is cheaper, and you are focused/determined, then go straight for WGU.