Options

Starting new job at VMWare

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    -hype wrote: »
    Nice to hear another success story.

How was the interview process?

It consisted of a phone interview and a technical panel interview it wasn't too bad. My background of certifications really impressed them with my experience so that was a great feeling!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Shanman wrote: »
    Congratz!!! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif Good luck in your new adventure. A new Corvette would be a nice purchase. Make sure you post some pics if you decide to buy one.

Thanks!! I'm really leaning towards the Corvette Stingray it's an awesome car to drive. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome job! You are the envy of the board!
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on the move! Nothing like being at a place with great prospects and adding a well known name to the resume. Best of luck on your endeavors.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Congrats!
    Soooooooooooooooooo jelly. bowing.gif
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Thanks everyone much appreciated icon_thumright.gif

This community is awesome I never would have guessed I would be at VMware this early in my career!! :)

• Options
    dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Will you be my Dad?
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job!! Sounds like you are going to be on cloud 9 for a while!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    MCITBound wrote: »
    Congrats on the new job!! Sounds like you are going to be on cloud 9 for a while!

I plan to stick around at VMware for awhile. I'm hoping to finish my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in the meantime while picking up some certs like the VCP-DCV as well!! I get lots of free training resources as well for other areas such as Linux, Windows, Cisco, etc.. :)

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Did they give you a stipulation on getting certified in a certain period of time?
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Did they give you a stipulation on getting certified in a certain period of time?

They encourage you to get VCP certified within 6 months but it's not a requirement. I'm finishing up my vSphere class this week and I have been studying for the last few months on my own watching videos, reading study notes, and books. I'm hoping to knock it out to round out the year ending it with a bang while my knowledge is fresh. :)

• Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Awesome job! You are the envy of the board!

It feels pretty amazing and a huge milestone!! :)

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I get lots of free training resources as well for other areas such as Linux, Windows, Cisco, etc.. :)

Doesn't get much better than that. Congratulations on securing a position with them, VMware is only going to get bigger in the future and I've seen how competitive their wages are...all that hard work paid off!
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    Doesn't get much better than that. Congratulations on securing a position with them, VMware is only going to get bigger in the future and I've seen how competitive their wages are...all that hard work paid off!

It definitely paid off- 5 years and 6 certifications later!! :)

• Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a 1980 Datsun 280ZX, Runs great, looks cool. Never had a problem with it so never saw a reason to get a new car. I can do all of the work myself without worrying about a computer telling me no I can't change my oil. Gets around 30MPG too so not mad about that either. I don't see why people that get high paying jobs immediately go out and buy a new fancy car when the one they have works just fine... unless your car doesn't work find that is.

Grats on the job and hope you're having the time of your life! Go on a nice holiday or something when you get the chance, see the world and create memories with the new found funds :)
  • Options
    I have a 1980 Datsun 280ZX, Runs great, looks cool. Never had a problem with it so never saw a reason to get a new car. I can do all of the work myself without worrying about a computer telling me no I can't change my oil. Gets around 30MPG too so not mad about that either. I don't see why people that get high paying jobs immediately go out and buy a new fancy car when the one they have works just fine... unless your car doesn't work find that is.

Grats on the job and hope you're having the time of your life! Go on a nice holiday or something when you get the chance, see the world and create memories with the new found funds :)

I'm already planning a trip overseas to Japan next year been wanting to go there for years!! :)

• Options
    Finished my vSphere course class training today to prep for my VCP-DCV cert. I learned tons of new stuff about vSphere!! I'm already getting scheduled for my vCloud Director class next month should be cool. :)

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really like that the company encourages certs but not requires. A company that REQUIRES certs always throws a huge red flag. With that said it makes sense to at least grab one specific certification and take as much training as possible!
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I really like that the company encourages certs but not requires. A company that REQUIRES certs always throws a huge red flag. With that said it makes sense to at least grab one specific certification and take as much training as possible!

I'm in total agreement!! I plan to take as much free training as I can and at least get my VCP-DCV in the near future maybe the VCP-Cloud down the road... :)

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in total agreement!! I plan to take as much free training as I can and at least get my VCP-DCV in the near future maybe the VCP-Cloud down the road... :)

The right move is to get VCAP-CID/CIA vs. VCP-Cloud.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    The right move is to get VCAP-CID/CIA vs. VCP-Cloud.

I have thought about that as well. I'm not sure as I have also wanted to grab a Linux cert in the near future for quite some time. I don't know if I will go to RHCSA/RHCE level maybe Linux+. :)

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds awesome!
    What are your job responsibilities going to be? Titles can be tricky sometimes...
  • Options
    -Perform system implementation and change configuration on internal cloud systems
    -Resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting
    -Perform data center operations responsibilities: Rack, stack and cable as needed for new and existing equipment in the data center.
    -Respond to customer escalated issues, primarily by web interface, telephone and e-mail
    -Document all technical inquiries, develop and review content for knowledge base
    -vCloud Director, vSphere, vCenter: software implementation/management: configure virtual machines

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    blackship_aliblackship_ali Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SWtacoma wrote: »
    Congratz! I think the new vette is so sexy! lol

I'm saving a down payment for the Corvette Stingray!! :)

• Options
    sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    congrats sir, how long have you been working in the industry?
  • Options
    sendalot wrote: »
    congrats sir, how long have you been working in the industry?

I have been in the IT industry for over 6+ years professionally but I have been working with computers, servers, and other various technology and gadgets since I was 14. I also majored in math/science. :)

• Options
    sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    I'm currently working on dev/QA side of the industry. But I ultimately want to work in Systems Administration / Security Administration. How shall I make up excuses to switch? lol.. I fear future employers will only want me to work on dev/QA.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sendalot wrote: »
    I'm currently working on dev/QA side of the industry. But I ultimately want to work in Systems Administration / Security Administration. How shall I make up excuses to switch? lol.. I fear future employers will only want me to work on dev/QA.

Thanks.

I would recommend getting some certs in Systems Administration in Windows/Linux depending on what your preference is and you enjoy working with. If you want to stay strictly in Security then start with Security+. :)