Options

Need Advise, CCNA R&S or Voice

Paulchester83Paulchester83 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

As the title says I'm in a bit of a dilemma..

First of all a bit about myself, I live in the UK, I'm a telecomms engineer by trade and was trained by the British Army in the Royal Signals. When I left the army I changed career paths and have been out of the telecoms trade for 6 years now but desperately want to return to it.

I have a lot of experience from the army with a variety of equipment. However I'm aware that I've been out the trade for a while and decided to pursue a few cisco certs. I recently gained CCENT cert and that brings me to my dilemma... I have a strong interest in VOIP, and with the CCNA exams being changed it is possible now for me to take my pick of CCNA exams. Now then I don't have a lot of money to fund me so I'm self studying and seem to be getting along ok. I want to do CCNA Voice so I'm currently studying R&S topics from CCNA so that I can move on to the voice side of things with a good base knowledge and hopefully take and pass the exam giving me the CCNA Voice cert.

do you think that having the CCNA voice cert and not the R&S will affect my chances of getting employed? Is it necessary for me to take the exam in R&S before voice as I don't want to spend more money on an exam I probably won't use considering I'm looking for a role in VoIP. (Yes I know VoIP is ran on R&S networks but work with me!) I really don't know what is best to do....

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I think you should definitely get both of them. People will expect voice professionals to have a solid understanding of R&S and it will improve your market value, no doubt.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which version of the CCNET did you pass? It does make a difference.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    How can you get the ccna-v without the ccna?

Am I missing something or did Cisco do a 180 on me again?
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    How can you get the ccna-v without the ccna?

Am I missing something or did Cisco do a 180 on me again?

According to the new rules, you no longer need a CCNA R&S to go into one of the specializations. CCENT is now enough.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Cisco needs to send out an SMS every time they change "the rules."
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I would get the CCNA before doing CCNA-V. If you have to learn the basics why not do a little extra and get a widely recognized cert. Listing CCNA and CCNA-V on the resume will provide much better results then CCNET and CCNA-V.