Options

640-816 or 200-101

urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all ,
I have still not started my preparations for the ICND2 and preparing for only the ICND1 exams of older version i.e. 640-822. Should I now go for the new paper or the old one? I plan to start my studies by the beginning of next month.
Please advice me whether i should go for the 640-816 or the 200-101 exams?
Is there enough time for preparing for the icnd2 old one to clear by Sept if I start from next month?

With Regards

Comments

• Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whether that is enough time, depends on your current level of skill land knowledge.

I'm preparing for the 640-816, and my prep time will take me 6-7 weeks. What do I cover, and how long do I study ?

Books :
    CCNA/ICND2 OCG by Wendell Odom
    101 Labs For the Cisco CCNA Exam ( on Kindle )

Video Series :
    CBT Nuggets
    Trainsignal
    INE

Labs :
    Packet Tracer
    Cisco gear at university

This will take me about over 15 hrs a week to accomplish
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both:
    1. Study for the current one if you think you can get through the material by the due date.
    2. Go over the new material for more current information. :)

Employers generally don't care 'what type' you passed, as long as you have it passed and can show you're competent in the knowledge. The second choice is so that you can try to stay somewhat current in the industry.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me which one will be easier? An also,if I pass icnd1(640-822) then i prepare for the new icnd2,will I have to again study the new icnd1 first or i can begin from the new icnd2? I already ordered the new study library containing both the books.Its costing me dear,as I depend on my father and i really feel sorry that i am a burden to them at this age of 35. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
    Plz help me.what should i do?
  • Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    urvi wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me which one will be easier? An also,if I pass icnd1(640-822) then i prepare for the new icnd2,will I have to again study the new icnd1 first or i can begin from the new icnd2? I already ordered the new study library containing both the books.Its costing me dear,as I depend on my father and i really feel sorry that i am a burden to them at this age of 35. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
    Plz help me.what should i do?

I think the current ICND2 (640-816) is easier from what I've heard (I've taken ICND2 (816) but not the new one).

You can do any combination of the two exams, old + old = CCNA, old + new = CCNA, new + new = CCNA.

I think it would probably be beneficial to run through the new ICND1 if you plan on taking the new ICND2 just because there are some new topics introduced that you may not have been exposed to already.

Hope that helps - good luck with your studies!
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA