Options

What is the practical use of mounted drives

phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I'm studying for my A+ and am to the point in the Exam Cram that discusses mounted drives. I get the concept of mounting drive and removing them, but I don't understand why someone would need to do this. The example in the book is the DVD drive being mounted to a folder on the HDD, but why? What practical purposes does this serve?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    For example, if you add additional storage to your system, you can mount it to a folder (some call these mountpoints). A practical use of it is as a way to attach other storage to your system.

If you're familiar with windows, you have a device manager, and it contains a tree of devices on your system.
    In 'nix type of operating systems, devices are added to the file tree, and they'll be represented by some sub-folder of root (often expressed as '/').

This would probably make a lot more sense to you if you had a UNIX background, as this is how it works with devices, by basically mounting them to folders.

I don't regularly use MACs, but I remember a few years ago I got on one, and I seem to remember a mount-like operation that I had to perform, since it was based on 'nix.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    So it can allow access to storage space on a different HDD or secondary/extended partition via the mount point, thus negating the need for content in that specific folder to be stored in the primary HDD or partition?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    In windows you rarely mount a drive against a folder, sometimes you will, for example if your SQL cluster requires more drives than the US alphabet has letters, you have to mount the drive - or in Hyper-V clusters, the cluster drives are actually mounted to a consistent folder path within the file systems of the individual hyper-v nodes. In linux, mounting the drives is how you make them accessible to the OS, the root of linux is a bunch of folders instead of drive letters. When you insert a drive you need to mount it in order for linux to be able to use it. In fact, part of being a linux admin is controlling the automatic mounting of file systems at boot:

Learn Linux, 101: Control mounting and unmounting of filesystems
  • Options
    So the use of mounted drives is more geared toward Linux than Windows, but is an available feature just in case you run more drives than there are letters?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, it's not a very practical suggestion to mount a DVD to a folder in Windows. But it's more practical to mount a hard drive within a folder structure in Windows. Even then it may not be a great suggestion without me getting too complicated - there are better ways to do it and avoid a single point of failure.

But in linux you mount a DVD to a folder and reference the folder instead of a drive letter. In linux it's the norm.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In windows you might mount a drive like this in order to increase storage capacity of your current volume. Explained better Mount or dismount a drive here
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.