Options

Highest paying IT jobs in the nation? Where?

ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it still generally DC? I'd just like to know. I know that the answers will be subjective based upon what you do, but I still want some ideas. Forget about cost of living in the area...just wondering about raw pay.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Good start, thanks. I'd also like to hear from folks in different areas that feel they get paid exceptionally well as compared to other areas.
  • Options
    Don't see the value in comparing if you want to forget the cost of living ... That is essential.

I can only talk about England but in London the highest techy salary is probably £55k-65k ... Average rent for 1-Bed Room Apartment per month : £1,700.
    Cambridge salary is for the same job between £35-45k with an average rent of less than half that ..

Salaries are tight to cost of living so I really don't see a point ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have a clearance, DC area can be very lucrative.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The places with the higher cost of living pay the higher salaries.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »

Does that apply at the US or any where in the world?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Does that apply at the US or any where in the world?
    Mostly in the US although I believe the UK also has clearances too - I suppose wherever there is a big military.

Also it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep that matters.
  • Options
    phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That survey shows a technician making over double what help desk makes in the Mountain area. That can't be right, can it?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am sure I could make more in NY if I don't mind paying rent to live in a closet.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    NYC, LA, SF, DC. Take your pick. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dont forget to calculate taxes, as well as the unemployment rate, crime...
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Don't see the value in comparing if you want to forget the cost of living ... That is essential.

I can only talk about England but in London the highest techy salary is probably £55k-65k ... Average rent for 1-Bed Room Apartment per month : £1,700.
    Cambridge salary is for the same job between £35-45k with an average rent of less than half that ..

Salaries are tight to cost of living so I really don't see a point ....

You don't see the point, but obviously I must have a reason beyond the scope of this post why I don't care about including cost of living? Yes I have lived in the UK and already know that London already pays the most.
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »

Yep, I am cleared and live in DC. I just want to see if there are other places that can outdue DC with or without a clearance.
  • Options
    I heard rumors that certain oil cities in Texas pay the highest. The cost of living in those oil cities seems lower than DC. South Florida also has a VERY high cost of living (although you may not see that on paper). The pay is generally terrible though!
    The places with the higher cost of living pay the higher salaries.
  • Options
    UK has clearances as well, but also US jobs that require clearances. From what I have seen of cleared US jobs in UK they don't trump what you can make in DC (given the exchange rate) even in London.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Mostly in the US although I believe the UK also has clearances too - I suppose wherever there is a big military.

Also it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep that matters.
  • Options
    Making double where?
    phdillard wrote: »
    That survey shows a technician making over double what help desk makes in the Mountain area. That can't be right, can it?
  • Options
    You could, but wondering if NY pays more than DC in general. I think the answer is no.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I am sure I could make more in NY if I don't mind paying rent to live in a closet.
  • Options
    That is common sense, but those cities are very close in pay. Which one takes the cake generally? I think of those it might just be SF.
    SteveLord wrote: »
    NYC, LA, SF, DC. Take your pick. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Why are you then asking a question you already know the answer to? And when you've also already admitted they will be subjective to at least some extent?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »

SC Clearance being the lowest one, then it goes up to DV (Top Secret) with several possible top-ups ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Yep, I am cleared and live in DC. I just want to see if there are other places that can outdue DC with or without a clearance.

It depends heavily on the kind of work you do and the environments you work in. Cleared IT workers who go overseas on demand make A LOT of money with minimal living expenses because it often gets footed by someone else. The people making the real money in IT in the DC area aren't the workers but the people behind the contracting companies and they make several times what the average worker makes, with many in the $150-$400K range. Most of the cleared workers around here are making $60-$80K if they are in on-site support roles not requiring extensive travel outside of the region. The software development guys might be making more but truth be told, there are many IT niches when it comes to Defense, and that stuff requires specialized experience and degrees like Geospatial Intelligence Programming or whatever they call it these days. I've seen many job titles and descriptions that would make you scratch your head and think about what the heck it is that they are paying that person to do.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Surprisingly, salaries in the DC metro area were higher than NYC. I interviewed for a position in NYC and when we negotiated salary I was trying to figure out where I'd live. I would have had to move to New Jersey or an outer borough. A nice 2/2 in Manhattan, NYC was going for around $4-5K/month. It was like pulling teeth to get this NY company to bump the pay up. I ended up passing on the position.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    sieff wrote: »
    Surprisingly, salaries in the DC metro area were higher than NYC. I interviewed for a position in NYC and when we negotiated salary I was trying to figure out where I'd live. I would have had to move to New Jersey or an outer borough. A nice 2/2 in Manhattan, NYC was going for around $4-5K/month. It was like pulling teeth to get this NY company to bump the pay up. I ended up passing on the position.

Similar experience. My wife is from NY and we considered relocating there from NC recently. I was offered two mid-senior level Voice engineering jobs that barely paid more than I made in NC. We're talking 5-7K more. I ended up taking a new position in Raleigh for more than what NYC was offering me for similar skills and work.

You need 200K combined at minimum to live in Manhattan if your married and want to live a decent life.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    i checked indeed.com just a few days ago and I did see a role for a Sr. Architect, which is described as competent in Voice, Wireless, R&S and Data Center. the pay was $175-190K in NYC. Ideally, this is the type of pay and role I'd want.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Stay away from Tennessee.. The pay is no more than ****. I hear everything is bigger in Texas, though.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

You could live in jersey and commute via train, bus, or car. Thats what many people that work in ny do.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Why are you then asking a question you already know the answer to? And when you've also already admitted they will be subjective to at least some extent?
    I don't have the answer, but I am getting the answers to it. Look at some of the posters indicating that through REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE they are at least noticing to a degree that you can make more in DC than NYC. You mentioned a city that I already lived in and advised that it was a choice. It is obviously a choice...I already LIVE there. You started off by rolling your eyes when my question was a fair one. Please don't post in my thread if you can't positively contribute. Thanks
  • Options
    It depends heavily on the kind of work you do and the environments you work in. Cleared IT workers who go overseas on demand make A LOT of money with minimal living expenses because it often gets footed by someone else. The people making the real money in IT in the DC area aren't the workers but the people behind the contracting companies and they make several times what the average worker makes, with many in the $150-$400K range. Most of the cleared workers around here are making $60-$80K if they are in on-site support roles not requiring extensive travel outside of the region. The software development guys might be making more but truth be told, there are many IT niches when it comes to Defense, and that stuff requires specialized experience and degrees like Geospatial Intelligence Programming or whatever they call it these days. I've seen many job titles and descriptions that would make you scratch your head and think about what the heck it is that they are paying that person to do.
    Lol, exactly. I hear that I am being billed at .5 million/.yr because they can't get anyone to work my shift e.g. night/weekend. I guess it is good job security. I don't know what it is about OCONUS work in UK though. It seems like you can't make the money you do here but you can exceed what you make in other OCONUS locations.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    You could live in jersey and commute via train, bus, or car. Thats what many people that work in ny do.
    That is essentially what is done in the DC area too. It comes down to what sort of commute you can handle.