The Journey Resumes

Comments

• carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2.5 hours of reading and an ATC VOD successfully negotiated yesterday. Into EIGRP in the book now. Get 'er done! LOL
    3.5 hours reading. Still in EIGRP though, it's a pretty long chapter and I am taking my time reading to try and let it all sink in.
    Didn't get much done yesterday. Spent most of it with the grandkids. Only read about half and hour and 30 minutes of a VOD. Better than nothing I suppose. We'll see what today brings.
    Only 1 hour of reading yesterday. Having the grandkids for 3 weeks is killing my studies along with work being particularly difficult at the moment. Gotta this thing thing on track!
    3 hours of reading and a ATC VOD yesterday. Not bad for a work day. Into OSPFv2. Hopefully will have that knocked out today and be into OSPFv3.

I must admit, I have never configured a device with IPv6 yet. It is a little intimidating to me.

Still waiting on my terminal server and 2811s to arrive. Maybe today one of them will show up. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just read it a few times, for myself it was the size of it, and how odd it appeared considered to IPv4, once you get your head around ND and the dotted hex it is not as bad, just had to remember to put "IPV6" in the commands which i constantly forget haha.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I also quite like how the operation has changed - i.e. you need to turn the ipv6 process on, then enable it per interface. The logic behind that is much better than typing in network commands.

But then I like the old school way too because that's what I'm used to! So it's all good either way.
    1 hour of reading and half a ATC VOD yesterday. Got 4 days off this weekend but my daughter is coming to pick up the grandkids so not sure how much I'll get done. Hopefully the equipment arrive soon so I can get the lab back into operation. All this reading is getting pretty boring. Need some hands on to spice things up.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you done anything with GNS3?

You can do the vast majority of it without even touching some equipment. Obviously I know using the equipment is better, but GNS has matured very nicely.
    carterw65 wrote: »
    1 hour of reading and half a ATC VOD yesterday. Got 4 days off this weekend but my daughter is coming to pick up the grandkids so not sure how much I'll get done. Hopefully the equipment arrive soon so I can get the lab back into operation. All this reading is getting pretty boring. Need some hands on to spice things up.

I have played with it a little, but I am wanting to do switching right now and that is the downside of GNS3. I should just do some routing and be happy. LOL

I am working in WB1 trying to shake the rust off.

Hey, got a question for you all. I am considering skipping the IS-IS chapter in Routing TCP/IP. It is not on the blueprint. Is there anything there that would be good to read, or am I good skipping the chapter?
    2.5 hours of reading and a little ATC VOD yesterday. Hope I can top that today being I have the day off! Yay!
    Received one of the 2811s in the mail today! Yay! BUT, it is being a bugger trying to load an IOS onto it. I am using tftpdnld. It will go for a bit then start timing out.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    That is exactly my worry as well. All I know is others did it before us so we can do it too. I also ran across this: Study kits | My Networking

I took a quick look at it and it looks promising to at least formulate questions out of and study it. The dude spent some time on it for sure.

Do you or anyone else know the software used to create those maps? I'm really needing to get a good mind mapping software and that one looks nice especially with the added graphics. And good luck on your studies. I'm going to start studying for my CCENT/CCNA Security beginning of next year with dreams of getting CCIE Security one day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Do you or anyone else know the software used to create those maps? I'm really needing to get a good mind mapping software and that one looks nice especially with the added graphics. And good luck on your studies. I'm going to start studying for my CCENT/CCNA Security beginning of next year with dreams of getting CCIE Security one day.

Not too sure what software he used.
    Well, I replaced the compact flash card on the 2811 with a different one and Voila! Got an IOS loaded on it. I loaded a smaller one to figure out what was happening and making sure the size of the IOS wasn't the culprit. I have not been able to load a 12.4(24)T on it though. It keeps saying cannot load Flash:c2811.....
    Feeling a bit frustrated with the 2511-RJ giving up the ghost and now the new-to-me 2811 is giving me fits.
    Whew! Daughter and her family are gone. What a huge distraction that was. I sure did enjoy the grandkids though. Got them full of chocolate and ice cream and sent them on their way.

Back to business!
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I am considering skipping the IS-IS chapter in Routing TCP/IP.

I think you can completely skip that chapter
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    I think you can completely skip that chapter

You don't need to know IS-IS for the R&S, but you'd be surprised at how much you can learn about OSPF when you see another protocol's approach to link-state routing. That chapter is a bit condensed, but still... might be worth taking a look at. What damage can an extra chapter of useful, but not testable material do? :)
    powmia wrote: »
    You don't need to know IS-IS for the R&S, but you'd be surprised at how much you can learn about OSPF when you see another protocol's approach to link-state routing. That chapter is a bit condensed, but still... might be worth taking a look at. What damage can an extra chapter of useful, but not testable material do? :)

I think I will skip it right now until I get through the two books then go back to it and read it. That is a good point about learning more about link-state protocols.

I am reading redistribution right now and I am not completely following it. He jumps around so much it's crazy. I am sure it will clear up once I get my hands on the lab and doing the configurations.

Still waiting on the rest of the equipment to arrive. I decided to max out the memory on the 2811s too just for good measure. I was hoping to buy a few 256mb Compact Flash cards locally with out having to order them, but smallest one I can find is 8gb.
    Woohoo! The Digi CM32 came today. Got it all configured and working. Configured Super PuTTy for the lab too. I can actually start labbing now with the current set up even though I don't have all the 2811s and cables yet.

Starting in on WB1 tomorrow! (Unless the 2811 arrive of course)
    So my other two 2811s got returned to shipper. The PO said the package was too big for the destination PO and told the guy it was his responsibility to know the limitation of the receiving PO and wouldn't refund the postage. What a crock that is. I see people having tires for their car shipped here.
    Ah, felt good to do some labbing last night. Got about 3 hours in. WB1 1.1 kicked my tail. I understand and know the commands, but trying to figure out that network diagram is a different story. I have went through it before, but it was a long time ago so I forgot it.

Watched a little VOD and did a bit of reading too. Productive day. :)
    Another 2.5 hours of labbing last night, .5 hours of reading and .5 hours of ATC VOD. Not a bad day again.

Finished through VTP in WB1. I must say I am learning tons already. They tell you to do something, but in the back of my mind I am thinking, well that will be a bad thing on the distant end, but they only told me to do this on SW1. Like changing the native vlan for instance. I am thinking, they only told me to do it on SW1, not the rest of the switches, that will break things. After going through it, I realize, they didn't tell me NOT to do it on the other switches so it is OK to do so and make the original requirement work properly.

I'll get this figured out yet. Fun times. I am enjoying the labbing part, but I am sure at some point I will be readdy to get this over with.
    3 more hours of labbing last night got me though the switching portion I am doing in WB1. Now into Frame Relay. I am really out of my comfort zone here, I have never configured or use FR before. Counting on the ACT VODs to help. Only a few minutes of reading yesterday too. Seemed like my eyes wanting to shut as soon as the book opened. LOL
    I've been thinking about Etherchannels after doing the WB1 scenarios. I am pretty familiar with them, but usually had the mode turned ON. I was having troubles getting some of them to come up, yet I knew the config was correct, with the exception of leaving SW1 in Dyn Des and the rest in Dyn Auto. I had not used this combination before.

So, I went to the Doc CD and the instructions there for configuring an Echannel is to either set the ports as trunks or assign all ports as static access ports in the same Vlan. Makes sense, but doesn't tell anything about dynamically formed trunks.

The way I got the trunks and Echannel to form was to shut down both port channels and no shut the auto side first, then the desireable side. Then the negotiation occurred and the trunks formed and the Echannel came online. Perhaps you could do the reverse, but I don't think I tried.

Conclusion - Echannels are finicky little devils. Order of operations are essential and little tricks learned only come from hands on.
    Finished up Frame relay yesterday. Not as tough as I thought it was going to be. 2.7 and 2.8 did trip me up, but once I figured them out, with answer key help, I understood them and I think that is what matters most.

I am following Petr's plan which does not have you doing all the tasks in WB1, just some of them. So, that means I am really only doing about a quarter of WB1 and it is pretty much core configuration.

Did 5.5 hours of lab and about 2.5 hours of Frame Relay ATC VOD. Didn't do any reading yesterday. Being that I had no clue on how to configure FR I started the day with the VODs. I decided to watch all of them on the subject so I could at least get exposure to the non-core parts of FR.

Trucking right along! Gonna get some digits! LOL
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, kind of funny, I was reading through the posts above your latest one, and I thought "man, he's trucking along!" then read your post right above this one :) Great minds think alike I suppose!

Keep up the great work, you're building momentum for sure! How do you like the Digi CM 32? Wondering if I'm the only one who absolutely loves them compared to the Cisco 2511's.
    I love the Digi. Wish I had bought it in the first place!
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Am I reading the price for these digi's correctly?
    My Digi CM 32 was 49.99 on Ebay with 35.00 shipping. Shipping was alot because I live in Europe. It is well worth the $$. Wish I had bought it instead of my original 2511-RJ. It took me longer to figure out how to use it than to configure it. You use straight through instead of x-over on everything. Too easy to set up and really simple to use. I set it all up and I am using Super-PuTTy with it. Works a treat as the say downunder!