Options

The Journey Resumes

Comments

• Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Daniel. For my situation, it is either do the bootcamp in January or not be able to do it until late summer. I know I am pushing it, but I think I have a solid plan to follow. I have room to move the lab a few weeks either right or left. I was just comtemplating do that. But, I think I will leave it were it is and study hard.
  • Options
    BGPs got me head a spinnin' LOL
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »

I do have that book, but I haven't read it yet. I will take a look, thanks!
  • Options
    So, instead of just diving into BGP, I watched 3 hours of ATC last night. I will try and finish up the ATC videos today (I am taking notes while watching them) and Saturday back to the mancave for fun filled day of labbing! I'll hopefully get some reading time in there as well.
  • Options
    More BGP ATC vids yesterday and about 30 mins of reading. Today I will fire up the lab and start in on the WB1 BGP section after another ATC vid or two.
  • Options
    This forum seems to have slowed to a crawl.

Watched more ATC vids on BGP, only read a few minutes, but got in 3 hours of labbing. I wanted 8 hours of lab yesterday, but it just didn't work out.

I decided I need to start documenting some things. Not sure I will start a blog or not, but there are things I neeed to write down so I remember them better. I have been taking notes on the vids so that helps. I spent some time figuring out some key combinations in PuTTy and notepad. For instance, in PuTTy you can hold down the alt key and highlight a column of IP addresses in a sh ip route display and paste them into a tcl script. Ctrl-a is select-all in notepad. I was trying to find a combination to select a single line, but it appears notepad doesn't have one. I will try and go back through the things I figured out and document them and share them. If any of you have any shortcuts that are useful, please post them.

I made a tcl ping script yesterday too to verify reachability. The good thing is I wrote it in notepad from memory and it worked great. I was on the fence trying to decide to use one or not. After trying it yesterday though, I will certainly use it. I put in a couple of wrong IPs in it and of course the ping was failing. That gave me some troubleshooting time which actually helped me figure a few strategies out.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I Think you should spent the time now and learn how to script with tcl , its a part of the embedded event manager along with applets.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    So I ran into trouble in WB1 7.8. I was trying to peer a route reflector R3 to client SW3 (R3---SW1---SW3) and the adjacency would not form with SW3. I noticed that SW3 did not have an Eigrp route to the IP of R3. I issued the statement network 155.1.37.0 0.0.0.255 on SW1's Eigrp and the adjacency formed. SW1 already had network 155.1.0.0 under Eigrp. Not understanding why this was not sufficient, I decided to test this a bit.

I deleted network 155.1.37.0 0.0.0.255 and tried network 155.1.37.0 and it still worked. Then I deleted 155.1.37.0 and left the original config. I then cleared the routing tables and the adjacency still formed. It was like Eigrp had a virtual vapor lock or something and was not picking up the route with network 155.1.0.0 when it should have. Eigrp had no auto summary also.

I shut down the lab for the night and now this morning it is back to the original problem. SW1 is not advertising the 155.1.37.0 network to SW3. It has the network 155.1.0.0 statement under Eirgp though. This is the same statement on all the other routers and they form the adjacency. There has to be a simple explanation on this, but I am evidently not getting it. Does it have something to do with SW3 not being directly connected to the RR R3?
  • Options
    Labbed 4.5 hours yesterday, watched some ATC vids and did a little reading/note taking.

I also changed my lab date from 18 Mar 2014 to 30 Apr 2014. I think I am going to need the extra time to study. I want to be as prepared as I can be.
  • Options
    Entertained a potential? employer for for dinner last night, so didn't get any labbing done. I did take some good notes though on route reflection.
  • Options
    Studying is slow right now. Having surgery (septoplasty) on Monday. Hopefully while I am on recovery and not at work I can get in some good labbing hours. Not looking forward to this, but looking forward to the time off.
  • Options
    Did a little reading and note taking yesterday on confederations. Too many distractions to get anything real productive done. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Had a rough time with a surgery. The operation went fine, but caught a cold and a bronchial infection 2 days later. Let's just say I wasn't feeling like doing much labbing.

Hope to be back at it soon. Tomorrow maybe?

Feeling better though!
  • Options
    Well, started feeling better, but then came down sick again. This sure has been rough. I think I am getting over it all now. I really need to get back into labbing. It has been all I can to to get through the day, let alone try and learn something.

OK, enough of me whining.
  • Options
    Fired up the lab last night and got everything ready to get into it again. I decided to restart the BGP section since I was in the middle of it and I figured it would be a good refresher for what I had already gone through.

So back to labbing today, I hope to actually get through the entire BGP section (tasks 1-12) this weekend.
  • Options
    linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck and keep at it!
  • Options
    Thanks Linux! I have been studying a bit, not as much as I need to though. Work took a wrong turn today and ate up my study time. Getting back at it though!
  • Options
    Well, I've put in about 5 hours of labbing, watched a few VODs, and did a little reading in the last few days.

Trying to get work to finalize paying for my trip to the Bootcamp in Jan.
  • Options
    Well confederations were kicking my tail this evening. Couldn't get some to peer. Pretty weird what the fix was. I deleted the IGP and reissued it and they came up. Of course on one of the peers it didn't help that I had a wrong IP address. Geesh, BGP is picky picky! LOL
  • Options
    Bought a new chair for my desk. It might sound trivial, but if your chair is uncomfortable, it might be hard to sit and lab hour after hour.
  • Options
    Squandered most of my weekend away. I did get 3 hours of labbing in though. A far cry from my goal of 8. I need to buckle down here or I won't be ready for the boot camp in Jan.
  • Options
    Did my planned 2 hours yesterday. And got a little reading knocked out.

I am into Vol I 7.12 BGP Synchronization. I haven't found much on this topic by way of configuring it. I looked at the answers to help, but I will need to look into this deeper. I really don't understand all of the answers honestly, so that is what I will focus on today.

Once through 7.12, it's on to IPv6!
  • Options
    Labbed about 3 hours yesterday, watched several vids, and did a little reading on top of that. Today will be more of the same. I must admit, I am looking forward to getting through Vol I and getting into full scenarios. Can't wait for that, but first, I have to pay my dues with Vol I.

This is my first experience with configuring IPv6. I have read about it several times before, but have no experience with it. I kinda like it honestly. With all its inherent features, it is pretty fun to play with.
  • Options
    Did 3.5 hours of labbing and watched some vids. Got through everything I needed for IPv6. Moving on to Multicast!

Yea, I avoided IPv6 for a long time. It was actually pretty fun and interesting; not the 16 headed monster I thought it would be (pun intended).
  • Options
    When I get into a new section, I usually read and watch the vids on it before getting on the equipment. Yesterday was no different. Started Multicast and all I did was watch videos and read about v5 coming out.

I will watch a few more vids today and fire up the lab.
  • Options
    Hard labbing done yesterday. Had the day off. Spent a good 7 hours. I did mix in vids when I was stumped. Hope to get another 8 done today. Get after it!
  • Options
    Done with Multicast.....whew! That is my LEAST favorite subject so far. On to MPLS!
  • Options
    What a day labbing yesterday! At 5am I started in loading IOS 15 on a 2811 and a 3560. Had to run my wife down to drop her off with a friend. So I really started in labbing at 8:45. At 8pm I had had enough. 11:15 minutes later. I didn't even take time to stop to eat, just grabbed something and keep going.

So I figure I spent about 8:15 actual labbing, a couple hours watching videos on MPLS and the rest of the time was stretching and getting something eat etc...

MPLS is my last Vol I topic. I am excited to get through it. I will be moving on to Vol II as soon as I get through it. I am sure I will be back in Vol I frequently though to back up Vol II.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Keep it up :)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)