Options

a few questions regarding A+ (new user)

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
I have the mike meyers 2001 third edition. That should suffice correct?
I bought it when it was the leading edition.. But.. time has faded as Ive read it four times and put the tests off..

I noticed that there is an upgrade comming soon 4Q 2003. What does that do if I take my test next week? Does it null and void my 2001 test? Will I have to retake my tests over again?

thanks all

Pandimus
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome :)

I used Mikes 3rd edition around August last year to pass the current objectives. I did however also have the benefit of Mikes Learnkey CBTs too, so between them I had current material. Mike has a 5th edition coming out now to cover the new objectives (including XP). If you are comfortable with Win 9x and W2000, have done your hardware study, can remember the various screens (sysedit, msconfig etc.) and are familiar with DOS commands and a bit more then you should be ok.
    Read the tech notes on this site to suppliment your studies and try the practice exams.

No, you will not need to upgrade your certification.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    I appreciate the reply..

I feel pretty confident with what you said.. I have been doing this stuff since 85. so i should do Ok. I am generally the guy people come to to have their computer fixed. I have networked, I have run networks support for my old squadron (airforce). I have dropped lines. I have repaired laser printers. I have used every OS (very little linux)

I have read the book about 4 times.. I am taking the heck outta practice exams.. I was just worried they were going to spring something on me I was not prepared for.

I will try to find the tech notes you refer to and give em a whirl. I have been taking practice tests on ****.com and I also have been taking the tests included with my mike meyers book..

I appreciate the help

Pandimus

(how hard was the MCP)? (thats next after my network plus)(I think)
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Your cert will be good as long as both exams are taken against the same set of objectives.

I bought my study book two years ago and put things off. A month ago I took a look at CompTIA.org and saw the objectives were soon to change. As a result I passed Core on 6/26 and will take O/S on 7/17. You should have plenty of time to get them both in before Q4.

The tech notes here are excellent. Check the Topsites link on the left to find more info as well. Good luck!

Oh, and you are buying vouchers, correct? You can save about $40 on each exam.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    vouchers?

I am just going to pay for them outta pocket. Then I will have my GI bill reimburse me.. = Free.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    with your experience it looks like you shouldn't have many problems with the exam
    A+ Moderator