Options

WGU: M.S. Info Tech - Network Management or M.S. Info Security & Assurance?

Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking at joining WGU.
Can anyone share their feeling on these Two degree programs, which one is 'better'?

1. M.S. Information Security and Assuranc
e
2. M.S. Information Technology—Network Management

Thanx.
[ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
[*
] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
/B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
/SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Apples and oranges. The MSISA is geared to be more technical (cert-based) and the MSITNM is more on the management side, so it depends on what your long-term goals are and what interests you the most, as to which is 'better.'
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Colemic,

thanx for the reply. I am really interested in Server management.
    [ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
    [*
    ] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
    /B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
    /SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Macpro76 wrote: »
    @Colemic,

I am really interested in Server management.

I'm in the same boat. Not really interested in Infosec, and don't necessarily want to get into management (at least not at this stage in my career). Want to focus on system administration/engineering/virtualization (which is what I'm currently doing now), but at the same time I want to obtain an MS from WGU. I think I'm going to go with the MS IT: NM. Even though the concentration is in Network Management, it's still a Masters of Science in Information Technology. I wish WGU had more MS options though.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just my unsolicited opinion, but you might be better served going the MSISA route as it is more technical. I don't know that you would gain a lot of value from the NM track if you don't want to be in a leadership-type position. While the MSISA track isn't focused on servers, there is still some cross relevance since both are technically oriented.

I am the opposite - I started the MSISA track in 2011 and and working on my capstone. When the NM track came out in Dec I was really frustrated since that is exactly the kind of degree I was looking for but I felt I was too far along to to basically start over. I am really wanting to get into a leadership role in my organization and I feel the NM track is far better suited to prepare me than the MSISA.

I wish they would come out with a Security Management track, merging the two together... that would make me very happy.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I still have at least 6 months or so before I have to make up my mind, but I will definitely look into the two programs more closely before I decide.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)