Options

Career Crossroads

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Techexams community,

Its been a while since ive been on here. I am having a bit of trouble regarding the direction to take in my career. I am currently a Network/Server Administrator for a mid size business. My background is more of a JOT than specialty but I do have a passion for networking. I took and passed my CCNA last year which helped me move up in my career but I dont know where to go from here. I want to be a Senior Network Administrator one day but I guess I dont know how to get there. It feels like there is ALOT to know about alot of different things and I cannot prioritize. My current dilemma is choosing which certification to pursue next:

Linux +: Have not really taken Linux seriously but this job has quite a few Linux servers in it that handles pretty important stuff. While I dont have a passion for linux specifically, it would be practical for this job to get or study for this cert to help with the day to day stuff.

CCNP: Like I said, I love networking but there really isnt any Cisco specific stuff at my job. We have one cisco router and it pretty much stays to itself. The Datacenter administrator said he would like to incorporate BGP into the network but those plans are far in the future

Cisco Voice: I told myself this would be the next cert I was going to pursue after the CCNA as there is a big market for it down here and it pays well. That was before I landed my current job which uses Avaya not Cisco technology for voip. Out of the three, this would be the last on the list of priority but thinking future wise and marketability, this could be of some importance. I have some experience with Call Manager and Call Center but without the cert, my experience isnt enough(ive tried).

Due to my constant need for a challenge, ive switched job often...lasting usually under a year. The company that I am with now has employees that average 6 years of tenure. It would appear they hang onto people and it is a good place to work. I would like to stay here to demonstrate I can stay at a job for more than a year but I also dont want to waste time. If you were me, which cert would you pursue first and what advice can you give for me reaching my ultimate goal in being a Senior Network Administrator?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The usual advice that I would offer anyone is to be great at your current job first before you consider leaving for the next step. Unless you are the go-to person in your current job and you are exceeding the expectations of your employer, you ought to at least stay a while. If you have been leaving jobs under a year as you indicated, it will eventually look odd on your resume.

Take the CCNP in your own spare time if you believe you will gain knowledge from it. It will certainly never hurt.
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you've answered your own question! Linux+ since it applies directly to your current position, and would be something new for you to learn. Wait until those future plans get a bit closer before doing CCNP, so it's more fresh in your mind. Go for Cisco Voice when you think you're ready to jump ship.