Options

Need Some Help With CV

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
I have CCNA, CCNP and I intend on going for CCNA Security shortly. I also have a 1st class degree. As far as experience goes I do some volunteering, but it's trivial stuff not worth mentioning... so let's say I have no experience. I'll be going for jobs that are more or less purely network related junior/trainee/1st line.

I'm wondering how I should write my CV. I'm considering leaving out CCNP as I'm rusty on so many topics. What I was thinking of doing is listing everything from CCNA:R&S and CCNA:S. So have a section like:

CCNA:R&S and CCNA:S level knowledge of: RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, STP, VLSM, VPN, ZBFW, IPS/IDS, AAA... etc.

I haven't really written a CV before so I'm not exactly sure if the above is acceptable... I don't want to make myself sound better than I am.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah leave out the CCNP for now, you may come across as a paper tiger if people see that CCNP without real experience to back it up. Not saying you've dumped it, but people are inclined to think that way. Perhaps have a Technical Skills section instead of a section having what you say, it'll fill up space and might just be more effective considering you're light on real experience. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I could review all the CCNP topics over a few weeks and I think I'd be ok... but right now I'm concentrating on getting the CCNA Security. If I did put it on the CV I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing... I would simply explain that I'm a bit rusty because I haven't had the chance to use most of what I've learnt in the real-world as I've been a full-time student and so it's not unusual I wouldn't remember everything. I'll explain that to them in the interview, just to show that I can handle CCNP level topics and that I'm keen to learn. I think my degree, CCNA RS and (hopefully) CCNA Sec should be enough for the kind of positions I'll be going for, though.

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
  • Options
    Would really like to hear your opinions guys...