Options

Admitted into Norwich, WGU, and Iowa State MSISA Programs. Decisions, decisions....

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
After completing my BS in Business Administration in May, I took a month to figure if I really wanted to either go for an MSISA and then MBA, just an MSISA or just an MBA. I decided to just go for an MSISA as I have a business undergrad and I applied to my top three choices for an MSISA program, Norwich, WGU, and Iowa State (note Iowa States is actually MSIA). Each program has different pros and cons and I figured it would be best to have my choice. So I just received my final admittance email, from Norwich.

As I see it, here are the pros and cons of each:
(All pros and cons are solely MY opinion based on MY own research, others' pros/cons might differ)

Norwich

Pros:
One of the most well respected MSISA programs among a greater amount of employers.
Program is management focused and from what I've found, would negate the need for an MBA.
Out of my research on LinkedIn, TONS of people who have the degree from Norwich hold really high end jobs (CISO,CIO,director or manager, Sr. XXXXXX position, etc).
One course at a time and case study based (as opposed to read 10 chapters and be tested on what you can remember).

Cons:
The most expensive of my choices, at about $27k with my discount for working for an affiliated company
Writing intensive with three 2000 word papers, two exams with 4 questions each needing about 500 words per question, and a 7000 to 10000 word end of term paper.
Would require the most time and dedication as I've been advised by multiple people in admissions they expect 25 hours per week on it.

WGU:

Pros:
Cheapest option of the three at roughly $9k if I finish in 3 terms.
Self paced so I can work at my own pace through each course and the program.
Some certifications included.
Material is also fairly practical and involves some case study as well.
Cost would allow me to spend on an MBA down the road if I want to.

Cons:
Lacks the name recognition of Iowa State and Norwich.
May not have as big of an impact on my career as the other two options, especially Norwich.
No help from instructors.

Iowa State:

Pros:
Cost is substantially less than Norwich, although more than WGU, somewhere between $14k and $17k?
Name recognition as a state university.

Cons:
Except for the first course, all other courses are only offered Spring/Fall and most all courses only offered in EITHER term.
Would take about 3 years to complete due to the course availability.
Curriculum looks to be more technical theory based, and from what I can tell, are like most unis where you read read read and get tested on what you can remember.

I'm pretty much discounting Iowa State based on the length of time it would take me to finish. I'm kind of torn on Norwich and WGU. While WGU ticks off a checkbox on my resume, the Norwich program has the capacity to have a more significant impact on my career. I like the cost of WGU a lot more than Norwich's. Also going to WGU I have the option of doing an MBA later due to cost savings. I also think the WGU degree could be less demanding time wise, or at least more flexible. I am more interested management, information security policy and governance, auditing, BCP/DRP, than I am technical (hence the BSBA). I've done a ton of research on LinkedIn using the degrees as keywords in education and there is just a massive amount of people in those positions holding a Norwich MSISA degree.

I have plenty of time to decide as I have deferred any possible enrollment until December/January. I just thought I would get some feedback from people as maybe I've missed some things to consider, and I'd be interested in what others would do given the above information and making a decision.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are young and don't have children to take care of, my vote goes to Norwich. I think the recognition and education are going to be a lot better — even enough to justify an extra $15-$20 thousand — and it seems to fit better with your career goals.

I don't think you'll go horribly wrong with any of these choices, but I know which I'd probably pick in, your shoes. I've actually looked at the Iowa State program myself, though I'm pretty much set on going with an MS in Computer Science as that's where my interests lie.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, Iowa state would be nixed for me because of the poor program availability. Given the remaining two, I would choose Norwich.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Norwich has a really good bakery about 20 minutes away. Like, really really good. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    REGISMSSEREGISMSSE Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also in process of applying to Iowa State U MSIA program because I think in a long run this degree will be more helpful.

How many people and employers (National/International) know about Norwich and WGU compared to Iowa State University? You will just spend one more year extra (as you said it will take you 3 years), but think of the reputation and long term benefits of ISU name.

I agree, Iowa State U MSIA is more of a technical program but you will learn the core of IT security which you will rarely learn on the job unless you work for a technology company/project. Management, information security policy and governance, auditing, BCP/DRP you will learn easily on the job.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I wanted to update this thread. Surprisingly, this upcoming Monday I will be starting my MSIA at Iowa State. I've been doing a TON of thinking regarding my options, and I've had things happening career-wise that changed my opinion of going for the Norwich MSISA. Reasoning behind that is I have neglected the technical side of security and it has come back to bite me in the rear. I feel there is just a lot more opportunity for me to move around within security if I can get the technical knowledge and skills. I've been pigeonholed in a strictly identity & access management position for the past 5 years and when trying internally I'm continually being told that I dont have the technical skills that other candidates have, and also I've now had three interviews in the past couple of weeks where the people loved me but either had other candidates with the skills or I just didn't have enough technical security skills (I have 1.5 years of technical security skills). So I feel the combination of the academics of the ISU program, and the name and reputation will be my best option. Looking at the coursework, it has a lot of deep technical theory but also real life applications and practicality. I also was able to put together a degree plan and I will be finished with the program after Fall 2015 term so 2.5 years isnt bad doing 2 courses a term. For those interested, I plan on doing a blog thread here covering my journey through the ISU MSIA, as I know there isn't really any experiences here, and not much elsewhere on the internet.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Iowa State is one of the schools I'm considering. Please keep us posted :)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted on how you like it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340