Options

OCS with WGU degree

BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
Has anyone applied for and been accepted into OCS for any of the branches with a degree from WGU? I am looking at the Navy Reserve and the IWO role they have. It looks like a good way to get experience as an InfoSec Manager.

Information Warfare : Information & Technology : Careers & Jobs: NavyReserve.com

any other suggestions?
Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)

Comments

• Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I have not done it but I do know that the military only cares that the college you attended is accredited so you should be good. They do not care if your degree is earned from a distance learning or a B&M institution.

Are in the Navy now or going to join? If you haven't joined yet your recruiter will give you a definitive answer but since WGU is approved for tuition assistance and the GIBILL I will put money on it that they will accept your degree.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    As a former enlisted guy who at one time looked in to USAF OTS, the military doesn't care where you got your degree as long as the institution is regionally accredited. The only metrics you'll be competing against will be GPA, institutional prestige doesn't play a role in package evals.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind the Navy reserve does not have an OCS component. OCS is only for active duty Navy. The reserves have a Direct Commission Officer program, which is EXTREMELY competitive. If you dont have a masters and a CISSP, you will not get selected. I am in the process of applying for this program as well. I have decided to re-enlist in the reserves, and keep applying while I am in.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Having been on the Federal side (but not in the military) they won't care as long as it's accredited (which it is).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Keep in mind the Navy reserve does not have an OCS component. OCS is only for active duty Navy. The reserves have a Direct Commission Officer program, which is EXTREMELY competitive. If you dont have a masters and a CISSP, you will not get selected. I am in the process of applying for this program as well. I have decided to re-enlist in the reserves, and keep applying while I am in.

Wait, what?! Links please - I'd love to apply for a direct commission in the reserves. I've wanted to join the AF reserves, but I think the AF reserve are clowns (i.e. so many people are joining, they don't really care about me and my requirements).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I was in the Navy for 4 years and 3 months. I was an IS2 when I got out in 1998. I have a CISSP and I am about 50ish credits away from getting my BS from WGU. Also you said it depends on GPA. WGU doesn't give you a GPA. So how would that play out?

dmoore44, there is a link in the 1 post about the IWO program from there you can get more info about the Direct Commission Officer program.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually, you can have a degree from a Nationally Accredited school to apply for OCS. I just spent three years as an Army Recruiter and I have had these discussions with the other branches.
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    Bundiman wrote: »
    dmoore44, there is a link in the 1 post about the IWO program from there you can get more info about the Direct Commission Officer program.

I haven't really found anything on that site relating to the DCO program. I did see a link to request more info from a recruiter, but I'd rather get more on what the DCO program is all about - it's requirements, intricacies, and other related info before I contact any recruiter.