Options

Security Clearance Verification

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
I just got off the phone with a recruiter who called about a job that I applied for recently. He asked me some general questions and then said he needed to verify my security clearance and would need my SSN and DOB. He asked if I was comfortable giving it over the phone or if I would prefer e-mail. I told him e-mail because I was kind of thrown off by this and needed a minute to think about it. Is this normal for recruiters to ask for that information to verify a clearance? Especially so early in the recruitment process? Thank!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My last company asked pretty early in the process as well, but they were definitely in the minority. If the company doesn't seem shady, you're probably fine.
  • Options
    Okay, just wanted to hear about what others have experienced. I'm knee-deep in CISSP study right now so social engineering is the first thing that came to my mind, haha.
  • Options
    I hear that, I just started a new gig and have to get that one within 90 days. I'll be starting to crash on the material Monday. Argh
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How else are they going to find you in e-qip?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    I'd be even more sketched about giving my SSN through an email... even if it was encrypted. I'd ask if I could bring the information to them.
  • Options
    I'm actually going to call him back rather than send it through e-mail. The company is out-of-state.

@dave, I suppose you're right. I have just never had a job outside of the Navy yet, so I don't know how these things work.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yes it through me for a loop when I first got out as well. They have to check you out in Jpass, but I hate they have to ask for SSN.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its a pretty normal process. Its usually either the recruiter, or the FSO will ask for that info.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally Id talk directly with their FSO. Giving how information can be tossed around these days, I have no clue who's on the other end of the stick...ya know?
  • Options
    Well, I gave it to him via phone and he verified it within minutes. The position is for a major defense company as a Security Engineer, so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    My company had a form to fill out, encrypted it, then sent it to the Security team for processing it.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    If you do not mind me asking, what defense company is this for?
  • Options
    If you do not mind me asking, what defense company is this for?

Who's the question for?
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Who's the question for?

Question was for NavyIT. But if you work for a defense company, feel free to chime in. I am currently working on getting my clearance as well to start working with a major defense company as well, so I was just asking.
  • Options
    Question was for NavyIT. But if you work for a defense company, feel free to chime in. I am currently working on getting my clearance as well to start working with a major defense company as well, so I was just asking.

HP Enterprise Services supporting DHS.