Options

about the 70-642

Other than a tasty Lab, Technet, and two different CBTs

What other books or resoucres can this forum recommend?

please advise

I thank you guys and gals in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using the MS press book as well as another pearson book that I dont recommend. There are also a bunch of notes some one posted a couple months back that were pretty good.

good luck on it, its a hard exam, ive failed it twice so far icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I too have failed multiple times, last time was w/ a 650.

Honestly if you just lab and know the skills measured you should do fine. It's just VERY specific so make sure you lab every possible scenario you can think of.
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    642 is the easiest MS exam of them all, and based on my chatting with other IT pros, they seem to agree. Don't worry too much about this one. I always stress taking practice exams and only sitting for the real exam once you start hitting 90% or better.

Like all MS exams, the 70-642 is VERY command line heavy. You better know your netsh, ipconfig, and subtle things like directaccess requires IPv6. Buy an admin reference type book and or slog through the command contexts.

Oh, one other piece of advice: Know the ports. These are all the VPN ports, sql, netbios, ldap, etc. :P
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    642 is the easiest MS exam of them all, and based on my chatting with other IT pros, they seem to agree. Don't worry too much about this one. I always stress taking practice exams and only sitting for the real exam once you start hitting 90% or better. Like all MS exams, the 70-642 is VERY command line heavy. You better know your netsh, ipconfig, and subtle things like directaccess requires IPv6. Buy an admin reference type book and or slog through the command contexts. Oh, one other piece of advice: Know the ports. These are all the VPN ports, sql, netbios (why?), ldap, etc. :P
    Command Line ... Command line .... Powershell! (duck... duck ... goose!) My reading list is ... MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Windows Server 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection Windows Server 2008 TCP/IP Protocols and Services MCTS 70-642 Cert Guide: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring and of course beautiful TECHNET