Options

What sort of Job to expect?

Hey folks

I am looking for some suggestions here. I am a final year Uni student in Sydney and my Submajor is Internetworking. Its my second last sem so i am a bit worried about where to land when i finish my degree in June 2006!

I am an overall Credit student and I have no previous IT experience although i hold CCNA certificate and am looking forward for Security + and may be MCSE! (one of which will be able to finish before June 2006)

So can any one please suggest me where should i start my career? and what sort of job should i look for?
:santa:

Comments

• Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I'm from the golden state - WA. Moved to London recently.

You best bet for starters is a help desk job at a large company. My first job was at Telstra doing help desk for the internal organisation. It was a great start because they have the biggest IT network in the southern hemisphere and the department is huge! You learn a lot about how things should be done in an IT organisation.

It wasn't until I moved to a medium sized company that I learnt the bulk of my technical knowledge (A division of Wesfarmers).

So I think you got 2 good options, get into something big like Telstra and learn how IT should be done, or go for a medium size company as Help Desk because they usually let you get more hands on with stuff.

Help Desk or Support Desk is usally the start of an IT career but only do those types of jobs for reputable companies and internal only. You don't learn much from doing helpdesk for home customers.

Thats all I can suggest really as thats the way i've gone and it worked well for me. I am an Active Directory design engineer for one of the biggest financial firms in the world now.

Once you get your foot in the door things will start to move for you to get to do what you want - if you work hard that is!
  • Options
    sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    thanks mate :) i will try my luck with a few companies... and will see what happens.

Cheers
  • Options
    jrbarnettjrbarnett Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want to get a variety of job, get a job as an IT person in a non IT company, that way, you end up doing everything from server administration to DBA/developer to helpdesk to infrastructure administration.

I did this for the placement year of my degree and it opened so many doors for me I couldn't believe it. (I had no certs then at all). My first post graduation job was as an analyst/programmer in a small software house, 6 months after that I was running my own development project with responsibility for everything related to it and money to match.

John
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats another good way to go about it. There a few good ways to et into IT and work your way up, getting hands on experience is the key really.
  • Options
    sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    thanks for the tip folks :)