Options

Where do i start?

brfitzpbrfitzp Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, i'm 21 and about to finish my B.S. in IT in December. I currently hold an A+, Net+, and next week hopefully my Sec+ certifications. Currently I work for a chain of seven pizzerias where i manage there pos systems.

Here I do only very simple tasks such as replace system, map network printers, configure simple firewalls, and maintain backups. Been working here for three years now doing this.

My goal is to go as high as i can in the IT chain(networking, and security seem to interest me the most), however there's no room to move up in my current position.

I'm also going to be starting my masters of IT management next year.

I'm not sure where to go or what kind of position i'd qualify for.

from reading around here i'm pretty sure i'm gonna be working on a help desk for a while.

Any suggestions? I live in south Florida if that changes anything.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Just an idea, but if you are looking to get into networking/security, since you work with POS systems maybe you could do a project or white-paper on the netsec shortcomings of the POS setup.

Something like this would be immensely positive on a resume, especially if you could provide positive feedback to the vendor. This might be beyond your skillset but start small and work your way into it. Employers want to see what you pursue on your own and do outside of work and it's possible something like this could help you skip some of the bottom rungs.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Just an idea, but if you are looking to get into networking/security, since you work with POS systems maybe you could do a project or white-paper on the netsec shortcomings of the POS setup.

Something like this would be immensely positive on a resume, especially if you could provide positive feedback to the vendor. This might be beyond your skillset but start small and work your way into it. Employers want to see what you pursue on your own and do outside of work and it's possible something like this could help you skip some of the bottom rungs.

I will try that out. I've read the horror stories on here of the help desk jobs and i would like to avoid that if possible. To me it seems like even with a B.S. in IT and not much experience you can expect an entry level job starting at around $12-$17 an hour. kind of a bummer.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    brfitzp wrote: »
    I will try that out. I've read the horror stories on here of the help desk jobs and i would like to avoid that if possible. To me it seems like even with a B.S. in IT and not much experience you can expect an entry level job starting at around $12-$17 an hour. kind of a bummer.

Yes, but your education, and if you have the certs, will help you move up really quickly. The entry level job most of the time is like a testing phase for people that already have a degree and certs. Someone with neither a degree or cert will most likely be stuck in entry level until they upgrade their education.

Your experience will help you get better than entry level jobs anyway, either that, or you'll be at the high end of the salary range for Help Desk/Desktop/Network Support. With a cert or 2 you should move up really fast.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    If you are considering going into networking, then the CCNA would probably be the best cert. Actually, I believe it is a good cert for any entry level IT job, regardless of whether or not you are going into networking. It is best to get that type of cert, work experience, and THEN a masters degree.
  • Options
    Well moving up fast is a relief. I'm going to start applying places as soon as possible, gotta write a resume and find a company with room to grow.

Also I think i'm going to try and work on my ccna while working on my masters.
    I don't wanna stop school now because i think i might never go back. I hate school, i just want to get it over with.