Options

Changing a computer name that's joined a domain.

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I know you can just 'change' the name. But here's the problem that i've encountered: Things break. Let me explain...
Remoting to unrelated computers won't work, and go to another computer instead. Pinging a computer will ping a different computer.
I'm guess DNS problems.

So I guess the other method is to leave the domain. Change the computer name. Rejoin the domain.

Why do I ask Techexams? Because this is the best think tank I know of :)
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I'm not sure I fully understand the real issue you are having here. It certainly does sound like you are having some DNS issues though. If you can't rename the computer remotely, then I would say that physically going to the computer and taking it off the domain to rename it would be the easiest thing to do. Have you tried using netdom? That it what I usually will use, but if you're having DNS issues it may not work right.

netdom renamecomputer machine /newname:new_computername /userd:domainname\administrator_id /passwordd:* /usero:local_admin
    /passwordo:* /reboot:seconds before automatic reboot

Source: How To Use the Netdom.exe Utility to Rename a Computer in Windows XP
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    If I change a computer's name that's joined Domain: Christmas. I change the name from Santa1 to Santa2. I just change the name with the computer still joined on the domain.

I later try to remote into MssClaus1 whose on the Christmas domain, but I end up remoting into MissyKlaz2 whose also on the Christmas domain but hadn't intended. It's the incorrect target. Both computers are up and operational.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Ok so it really sounds like some sort of DNS issue rather than anything to do with needing to rename a computer. Have you looked at the entries on your DNS server for stale records in your forward lookup zone?
  • Options
    I don't have access to that information... More over, I was hoping there was a way I could avoid that problem. Or if anyone else had the sort of problem i'm describing knew of a way to workaround it.

I was thinking about Unjoining the domain, then changing the name, and rejoining the domain.

• Options
    Well, you could try that. But if you're having problems with DNS updating or stale records causing the problem then I don't think that will do the trick. But hey, give it a shot. BTW, where in SC are you?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are going to need access to DNS, DHCP (if you run that on Windows Server) & Active Directory Users & Computers.

1. You are going to have stale DNS records.
    2. You could have stale DHCP records and
    3. You are going to have stale Computer account records in AD.

Are you renaming them totally different names or are you swapping the names around between PCs? Best bet is to remove a computer from the domain, rename and join it to the domain again using an administrator account. Non-administrator accounts are limited to 10 domain joins. How many PCs are you doing this to BTW?
  • Options
    Okay so the long way is the best way. That'll work.

I'm going to do this to 15 pcs within the next couple days.

We had the problem before, but this was before I was here and things just got out of hand. So I'm trying to reorganize all the computer names into their original, proper order.

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OK, it's been a while since I've had to do that. I just tried it on my Server 2008 R2 domain with Windows 7 and you can now just change the computer name, you don't have to remove it and join it again to update the Computer Account in AD. Unless you are running XP.. and you might still have stale DNS/DHCP records. Delete the DHCP lease and remove both A & reverse PTR records in DNS to be sure...