Advice for someone new to a career in IT

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have been out of college for about 2 years now. I have spent most of that time working for an insurance company in their operations department. After speaking with my boss back in February, the company is planning to move me over to their IT team by the end of August, which I am very excited about. I will be moved to a small team that is working with a vendor to help bring on a brand-new policy administration system.

After coming out of school with degrees in Business Management and Marketing and having absolutely no idea what I wanted to do, I decided, just over a year ago, that I wanted to make a career in Information Technology. The problem was (and still is), I'm not sure what exactly in IT I want to do. I received my A+ and Network+ certifications to help build a foundation. The problem is I'm just not sure where to go from here. I am leaning towards Information Security right now and am working towards my Security+ certification to help me establish a baseline of knowledge.

So my question is: How did you right the right career path for you? Would you have any tips or suggestions to help someone find their passion in the workplace? I know many people who love what they do for a living and I want have that same enthusiasm when I go to work everyday. The problem is, there are so many career options within IT - and without having working experience in every single field it's very difficult (for me at least) to know what career path to works towards. I am hoping that working with this new IT team in at the insurance company will help me find the right career path for me, but I would most definitely appreciate anyone's suggestions or feedback.

Thank you for your time. I very much appreciate it.
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Im not in IT yet...but i did have to narrow it down to something to choose an IT degree.

I spent a few weeks reading IT blogs from different segments of the industry. Everything from DB managment, to security, to hardware and networking.

I kept coming back to the security blogs, bookmarking more and more of them. Reading more and more of them daily, pretty soon it was obvious to me what i wanted to do just by looking at my book mark folder.

Maybe it will work for you. Hit Youtube, watch videos by industry leaders. Its time consuming, but its a great way to see what gets you going and what leaves you starring at the ads...
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @GLaDOS - as someone on these threads once sagely said, you have to know what you are securing in order to secure it effectively. My advice to you is to look into the domains of system administration, databases, networking, etc to see what area makes you tick and go from there as there are few, if any, entry-level info-sec jobs. On a practical level, you could try your hand at a Windows client cert (the 70-680 is a good choice) before moving on to the more demanding server certs. The CCENT leading to the CCNA is also a very good entry-level cert. Good luck on your new career in IT icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried any programming yet? Make sure you give that a try at least (I'm terrible at but at least I know). If I were you I'd expose myself to major areas in IT or least read about them. Virtualization is the hot new thing right now. Basically find something that interests you and go for it. Need ideas, VMware, Cisco, or Microsoft are choices you can't go wrong with.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^ + 1

Exposure is one of the best things you can get, college is great in this aspect. I've been exposed to just about everything related to computer science, but the only things that ever peaked my interest were 1) Networking 2) Virtualization 3) Linux. All in that order. So I've decided to pursue the CCNA before starting my final year in college.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all of the great feedback! I really appreciate it!

@Ivanjam - I'm hoping that by the end of my Security+ certification I'll have a good idea of which domains interest me the most. I've noticed that it seems to be very rare for someone to just start in Information Security. I'm still not 100% sure if that is what I want to make my career in, but I would say it has the most appeal to me right now. If I do continue on this path do you have any recommendations for entry-points or ways to transition into information security? When I am moved over to the IT department at my current company, I'll be working with a small team that (on paper, at least) would report to the Chief Security Officer. I'm hoping that if all goes well I may get an opportunity to get some exposure that way. Any thoughts or other suggestions would be very much appreciated, as always.

@draught - I took 1 or 2 classes in programming in high school and college (Java and HTML, respectively). I'm also teaching myself some SQL for my move to the IT dept. of my company.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Consider the CCNA --> CCNA-Security --> CCNP--> CCNP-Security path if you are passionate about network security, at least that's my opinion. If you're already deep into the Security+, by all means finish it.

2. Do you have a home lab? If not, put that on your Xmas shopping list. eBay is a GREAT place to buy used equipment for ridicules prices and be able to learn the equipment at your own pace, your own time and not risk a live network. I've been doing it a lot in the past year and it has been awesome!

Others may tell you it's not needed, or that you can use simulators, blah blah blah. Let's face it, if you wanted to fly an F-15 Eagle, you can read a book and use a simulator, but at some point, you'd need to strap into the cockpit and hit the afterburners. PM me for more info.

Also consider the CISSP Certification, seems pretty sought after.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • sleepingturtlesleepingturtle Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What equipment do you recommend for a home lab? I have access to various equipment but I would like to get a recommendation on what to focus on.
    2URGSE wrote: »
    Consider the CCNA --> CCNA-Security --> CCNP--> CCNP-Security path if you are passionate about network security, at least that's my opinion. If you're already deep into the Security+, by all means finish it.

2. Do you have a home lab? If not, put that on your Xmas shopping list. eBay is a GREAT place to buy used equipment for ridicules prices and be able to learn the equipment at your own pace, your own time and not risk a live network. I've been doing it a lot in the past year and it has been awesome!

Others may tell you it's not needed, or that you can use simulators, blah blah blah. Let's face it, if you wanted to fly an F-15 Eagle, you can read a book and use a simulator, but at some point, you'd need to strap into the cockpit and hit the afterburners. PM me for more info.

Also consider the CISSP Certification, seems pretty sought after.

@ 2URGSE - I actually have some equipment for a home lab consisting of: a wireless router, an Alfa wireless card, an old laptop, a netbook, and the book BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing: Beginner's Guide. I had been following through the book for a while, but had to put it aside over the last 2-3 months because I've been picked up a lot of extra work after my normal job. I'm hoping to get back into it this fall when my schedule settles down a bit. But I totally agree, having the actual equipment has been great!! I also was thinking of going after my CCNA after finishing Security+. I've been looking for a place to take a class on it, as I'm not sure I could self-study for that one the way I have been for Security+.
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    So my question is: How did you right the right career path for you?

I started in help desk and systems administration. I didn't know anything about security, at the time, other than that everyone seemed to hate the security people. I stayed in my modified helpdesk/sysad role way too long and really, honestly began to hate users. So I figured "Security, that'll be my revenge!" and got into security.

Turns out I don't hate users anymore, but I did discover a passion for security analysis and engineering. It was just kind of blind luck.
    @ GLaDos (sorry for the hijack guys...)

The equipment that you will be buying, should be related to your certification. Most folks (me included) started with the CCNA and bought a CCNA Lab. My initial equipment included:

2 X Cisco Catalyst 2950 switches.

2 X Cisco 2600 Routers. (12.3 IOS, each has a serial interface card)

1 X Cisco 1700 Router. (with 2 serial Interface cards)

As you can see, you can set up a very nice network of 3 routers (the 1700 is in the middle) and program RIP, EIGRP and OSPF. You can also connect the switches at the end of each router. The switches will be used to teach you about VLAN, VTP, switch security, remote access etc.

I passed my CCNA with this lab (Cisco CCNA | CCNP Certification Training Site provided me with the labs and solutions, it's not free but well worth it), the CCNA books, and Boson exam engine.

Moving on....there are some disadvantages to this lab, I will list the ones I found and you'll start seeing how things play out as you move along to higher certifications:

* The 2950 switches do NOT have PoE (Power over Ethernet), so they will not power any Cisco phones or my Aironet 1200 access points.

* The 2600 routers came with IOS 12.3 which does not support SSH.

Conclusion:

* Try to buy higher end switches, at the least buy the 2960's or 3560's.

* Make sure your routers come with the latest IOS, 12.5 I believe, but do not quote me.

* Make sure each router has at least 1 serial card, 2 is better. This will come handy at the CCNP level.
    A+
    Network+
    For CCNA Wireless that I'm pursuing as I am writing this, I expanded the lab with the following:

* Cisco 2100 Wireless LAN Controller. (WLC)

* Cisco 1242 Access Point.

* Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch.

The first 2 items is what Todd Lammle recommends in his book.

The 3560 has PoE, so I don't need to run all these power injectors to power my access points.

I can now sell my 2950, although at the moment it's in a sealed box on the shelf. icon_wink.gif
    A+
    Network+
    I also recommend Online IT Training | TrainSignal

I just purchased my subscription, and the CCNA-Wireless course is very very informative and helpful (you can take as many courses as you like at the same time for one monthly fee). The instructor will teach you all the basics and theories behind radio, and later on you'll get to play with the lab and put the skills in use. This is exactly how I passed my CCNA. Learn the theories and then put them into use.

At the end of the day, you'll reach a point where you'll start "thinking" in a certain way. When you encounter networks, equipment and problems in the real world, you'll use your CCNA troubleshooting skills to solve them, heck I just had one in a job interview on Tuesday.
    A+
    Network+
    @ 2URGSE - thank you very much for all of the information you provided here. I would definitely like to build my own CCNA Lab. I learn a lot better when I actually DO what I'm reading and studying about.

I am moving into an apartment this winter so I'm trying to be space-conscious. Do you find this lab takes up a lot of room? I know that's a silly question to ask, but I have a bad habit of letting my computer equipment and cables run wild so I'm trying to get better at managing it icon_redface.gif
    By the way, trainsignal.com looks great! Thanks for sharing it!
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    How did you right the right career path for you? Would you have any tips or suggestions to help someone find their passion in the workplace?
    Just to add my 2 cents for what it's worth icon_wink.gif

When you are early in your career - try not to pigeon-hole yourself. Now that you have somewhat narrowed down your vocation of interest to IT - try to stay flexible. IMHO - what will keep you happy for the next 40 years of your career will be whatever you find your passion in - and it can change.

In the last 25 years, I've done software engineering, consulting, management, startup businesses, IT operations, security, technology strategy, etc. I find that if I don't lock myself into one particular specialty, I can follow the opportunities that present themselves and take advantage of them.

BTW - I currently work in information security and risk management as one of my primary roles.
    @GLaDOS - I would suggest that along with the CCENT/CCNA, you also pursue the MCSA Windows 7. That way you won't pigeonhole yourself, as paul78 warned, in one area of IT. Barring the CompTIA triad, these are, arguably, the two most desired entry-level certifications in IT today.
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @GLaDOS - I would suggest that along with the CCENT/CCNA, you also pursue the MCSA Windows 7. That way you won't pigeonhole yourself, as paul78 warned, in one area of IT. Barring the CompTIA triad, these are, arguably, the two most desired entry-level certifications in IT today.
    @Ivanjam and @paul78 - thanks! I definitely understand the suggestion. I'm actually glad you mentioned this. I've never been able to see myself doing one thing for my whole life. I've always felt that my interests were changing over time but that would not be compatible with a career. I'm glad to hear, as in paul78's case, that staying flexible in the IT industry is possible. And after I finish my Security+ cert I was definitely going to go after my CCNA and the MCSA Windows 7 sounds like a good follow up!!
    Oh and what about CCNA Security? Should that wait until after the CCNA and MSCA Windows 7?
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've also decided to go with the MCSA Windows 7 cert after finishing CCNA. After that, I think I'll focus on CCNP as far as intermediate level certs.

I would say the CCNA Sec would be good to go for after you're done with Windows 7 and CCNA. Specialization should always come later on.
    @GLaDOS - the CCENT (or CCNA) is a prerequisite for the CCNA Sec, so it is best to get the CCNA first. After completing the CCNA and MCSA Windows 7, you will be in a better position to decide what career path you are more interested in (System Administration or Networking).
    @ivanjam and @ismaeljrp - that makes sense to me. I'll do CCNA and then MCSA Windows 7 certifications first then decide what to do after that (right now I'm leaning towards CCNA Security, but anything's possible!) Thanks so much for everyone's advice and feedback! It's great to have a community like this to bounce ideas off of. I really appreciate everyone's help!