Options

Upgrading the IOS on a 2509-RJ Access Server

DhonzikDhonzik Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new and just starting out on my journey to become cisco certified. I am build a lab for this journey and it will have the following:

1 Cisco 2509-RJ Access server (Have right now)
1 Cisco 1841 Integrated Services Router (in the mail) running IOS 12.x
2 Cisco 2610XM 12.4T Advanced IOS Router 64D / 32F - IPV6 / SDM / Optional Firewall Feature Set
1 Cisco 2851 15.1 Advanced IOS Dual Gigabit Ethernet Router - 256D / 64F
3 Cisco 3550 Layer 3 IP Services Switch with EMI Image

The last 3 are part of a CCNA lab from NetCertLabs I am going to upgrade the 2509 and 1841 to the latest version of IOS and already have the IOS software for them. My question can I update the 2509 thru the console port. Most of the upgrading the IOS they talk about using the ethernet port, but currently I do not have a transceiver for the AUI port to do that. If it is possible, can you provide me with line by line instructions.
Thanks again for your help

Comments

• Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think so but a quick google search will answer it... Here we are: use Xmodem

Xmodem can be used on a group of routers (see Components Used) and is used in disaster recovery situations where the router has no valid Cisco IOS software or bootflash image to boot from and hence, only boots up in ROMmon. This procedure can also be used where there are no Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) servers or network connections, and a direct PC connection (or through a modem connection) to the router's console is the only viable option. Because this procedure relies on the console speed of the router and the serial port of the PC, it can take a long time to download an image. For example, downloading Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(16) IP Plus image to a Cisco 1600 Series Router using a speed of 38400 bps takes approximately 25 minutes.
  • Options
    DhonzikDhonzik Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, that is so easy, but when I check the available memory I need additional 8MB of flash memory to load the latest remote access server, so I guess if additional 8MB isnt too expensive I'll update the router. I am looking at the DRAM in the show version command:

cisco AS2509-RJ (68030) processor (revision K) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.

Does that mean I have 16MB with 2 MB in use?