Options

Setting up CCNA lab

v_infosecv_infosec Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Techexamsers,

I am new into the networking world. I have studied the network+ and security+ material of which I will be writing the Security+ exam.

I want to dive into CCNA. I need suggestions/advice on setting up a home lab suitable enough to pass the CCNA, and the possibility to upgrade or the the same lab for CCNP. I intend going for the security line. Please also consider finance is not easy on my end.

So please, I would like to keep cost to the minimal and have something just like I have discussed above. I live in Poland if that will help to better judge my situation and give me the best possible advice.

I read somewhere you can use GN3 as a router, but just like I said, I am new and many of these things are new to me.

Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dzien dobry :)

If you are on a budget I suggest using GNS3 along with purchasing a few switches. 2x 3550 and 2x 2950 would suffice for CCNP. You could probably get away with using two switches for CCNA.
  • Options
    Dzień dobry ,

Am not polish, but I live here. Could you break down the configurations and the things I would need? Including the routers. If there's any other things, please suggest it. I am very open to learn. I don't just want to get by. I want something moderate for the CCNA and also use it for CCNP in addition to obtaining other hardware as well. But for now, my focus is on CCNA. I want the knowledge and I am hungry for it.
  • Options
    Okay so firstly you'll want to get some CCNA lab books. I recommend 101 CCNA Labs. You can find this on amazon.com. There is also a website called gns3vault.com that has a ton of labs to do. If you just do a google search for CCNA labs I am sure you will also find other sources.

I do recommend a home lab since it will give you the closest thing to "real-life" experience. So I would recommend you getting the following for the CCNA. 2x 2610XMs and 2x2950s. This will transition you nicely to building a CCNP lab.
  • Options
    You should also check out this thread. It gives you all the information you could possibly want to know when preparing for CCNA

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html
  • Options
    Thanks a million FloOz, what devices can I get that wouldn't require me changing for the CCNP. I wouldn't want to go for something th at will require me to buy completely new devices but instead buy to add to what I already own. I might be asking alot but kindly help. I have taken your advice to heart and will surely make use of the resources you provided me with.
  • Options
    What is the difference between these switches Cisco Catalyst 2950 24 Switch, Cisco Catalyst 2950 12 Switch, Cisco Catalyst 2950SX 24 Switch

I have been on the local ebay like website in Poland to get the 2950, but i have been saying all this strange lettering and numbering. Pls clarify.
  • Options
    The 2610XMs and 2950s can both be used for CCNP studies. However you will need to addon more routers/switches to it. Don't worry about that just yet though.

As for the 2950 I would recommend getting the 24 port version. That will give you plenty of ports to work with. Honestly a 12 port would probably be good enough too. As for the letter after 2950SX. The SX in this case gives you 2 additional fiber uplink ports. You should google the letters combinations if you ever get confused. You really won't benefit much from the fiber uplink ports so don't worry about getting them if money is an issue
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Does the c, t, g matters in the 2950c/t/g versions? Google is not telling me as much as I want to know
  • Options
    C = Uplink PortsCisco WS-C2950C-24 Switch - Cisco 2950C - Vology

T = Ethernet portsCisco WS-C2950T-48-SI Switch - Cisco 2950T - Vology

G = Uplink module slots Cisco WS-C2950G-24-EI Switch - Cisco 2950G - Vology

Look at the right side of the switch. Those are uplink ports. They really won't matter in your studies so get whatever is cheapest. If you can I would get the G because it gives you more flexability if you do end up deciding you want to play around with uplinks.

This may be a bit confusing but those c/t/g things are more relevant to the enterprise switching world and not home labs. You can make uplink ports with regular ethernet ports in your home lab. So get whatever is cheapest.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    v_infosec wrote: »
    Dzień dobry

I presume that is "Good Day". It's interesting how similar Polish and Russian sound.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Yup russian and polish is very similar. I can often make out a lot of russian words
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. What is i get the just the 2950 without the c/t/g would it stillbirth fine for the CCNA?
  • Options
    Allegro.pl - Wi

This is there bay of Poland and this is what I found. Some are just 2950 while some has the c, t, g at the end. Will just the 2950 be okay?
  • Options
    Yes it will be fine