Options

VLSM Overlap

bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
Studying VLSM, appears to be rather easy so I'm not sure if I've found another error in my book or I'm reading it wrong.

SubnetID/Broadcast
172.16.6.0 - 172.16.7.255

172.16.6.0 - 172.16.6.255

Do these two not overlap?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes they over lap.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yes they over lap.

I'm trying to overlook the numerous typos/errors in this book, but the more I find the more I can't wait till I get Lammle's new book. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check the errata page for your book. That will save you time and frustration.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Why don't you convert it to binary to check?
  • Options
    Check the errata page for your book. That will save you time and frustration.

I have been, this is the third error I've found that was not in their errata. The previous two have since been added.
  • Options
    Why don't you convert it to binary to check?

Well, at my level I don't have a whole lot of faith in my ability but I had a feeling this was blatantly obvious, especially to those of you who are already certified.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm starting to feel like they copy and paste from the previous editions, cut out the irrelevant material and sent it to print without even trying to edit it. Kick it out the door and let the buyers do all the work. I can understand a book of this size having a few errors, but their errata page is growing rather quickly.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Yup; I have found several almost word for word chapters / sections on Cisco's site when I tried to research something I read in a book further (not sure whom copied whom but I have my guess).

Also (I don't think this violates NDA), I have went through A level exams and then while studying for the P level the questions that were on the A level exam were in the P level books / guides almost word for word.