Options

Returning to the Game! ICND1 100-101

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys!
Been a while since I've posted on the site, although I have been looking.

Update:
Had to drop WGU for financial reasons back in February/March. My wife got a job on the weekends to help us out. Giving her props for stepping up and helping us. I didn't find a second job, but did find a new full time job as a Network Communications Tech. Basically working for an MSP. What a great learning experience! I have been able to touch technologies that were always managed by other departments in previous jobs I've had. Exchange, switches, Server 2008 and 2012, Acronis backup, and a lot of Hardware (Was able to build a server for a client, RAM, Processors, RAID cards, HDDs, the whole she-bang!)

At any rate, I've decided to get back up to date and tackle the new CCENT. Figure it should help me get up to speed with getting my Network Engineer position (After getting my CCNA, of course). I figure that I have been in IT for 5 years and it is now time to specialize in one field, which is going to be Cisco.

So, for all the other members taking the new Cisco certs, good luck! Hope to be among you very soon.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can definitely say your experience would combine better with MCSA/MCSE, but a CCNA is still pretty awesome to have and I bet you'll do just fine. Good luck to you as well and thanks a bunch icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Microsoft side keeps popping into my heard over and over again. I can definitely see my self attaining MCSA 2012, but I've wanted to go into networking since I got out of my vo-tech school 5 years ago. I jumped into any IT job I could get cause I needed the experience. Now that I have some time put in, its time to move to where I ultimately want to be; Senior Cisco Engineering Architect! :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    At any rate, I've decided to get back up to date and tackle the new CCENT. Figure it should help me get up to speed with getting my Network Engineer position (After getting my CCNA, of course). I figure that I have been in IT for 5 years and it is now time to specialize in one field, which is going to be Cisco.

So, for all the other members taking the new Cisco certs, good luck! Hope to be among you very soon.

This is exact same position I find myself in (except 4 years). Recently decided to delve deep in to networking after having a fairly high level knowledge of it all and found it fascinating. I also couldn't stomach becoming Microsoft certified, I just really couldn't. Too boring!

Managed to convince work to pay for an online course from a guy called Todd Carpenter, and I've also got Odom's book plus the CBT Nuggets.

I think combining those three will see me ok. Best thing about the online course is the labs. Apparently the virtual IOS is as near as makes no difference just as good as the real thing.

Good luck friend!