Need some advice please

Hammerhead786Hammerhead786 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working towards a CCNA. I plan on taking the ICND1 and ICND2 exams separately and need some advice on how best to approach the studying. So far have I have watched the CBT Nuggets videos (good), the IT University online videos (too dry and too much waffling by the instructor for my interest), tried watching the Lammle CCNA 14 Module series videos (couldn't stay focused) and currently watching the INE CCNA videos (good).I've tried reading the ICND1 official cert guide, but I'm unable to stay with it as it seems to be hard reading.

I have 2 x 2950T switches and 2 x 1751v routers for doing some labbing on. Since money is an issue (got laid off), can anyone recommend some good and cheap reading material? I do have Lammle's CCNA Study guide (2nd Edition) so I am not sure how useful that would be for the current exams. I would love to get the Boson tests, but it's a no go at this time. As I have plenty of time on my hands I'm spending around 8 - 12 hours a day studying and as someone over 45, trying to retain the knowledge is also a mission in itself.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might be suffering from MDD: Motivation deficit disorder, if you can't hang on the the OCG books. INE + OCG + real lab/gns3 should be quite enough material. Lammle just released a new CCENT book, I've read his older stuff and it's a smoother read than Wendell Odom, although I used Odom.

I like this approach
    example :

1) view cbt nugget on foundations
    2) read OCG chapter 1 and 2 ( do not do the end chapter tasks yet )
    3) view INE while taking good notes
    4)
    A) leave it there for the day or if you have lots of time go to B
    B) take an hour break, study the notes you took an hour ago
    5) Lab on the subjects if applicable
    6) Now do the beginning chapter quiz in the OCG and end chapter tasks
    7) assess your retention, if you need to at this time, watch the CBT nuggets again on the same subject, and lab ( at this time you should get that, aja! feeling if anything was left out )

Rinse and repeat for the rest of your studies. After about 3 days, go back your notes and review everything up to that point. 20-25 hrs a week should have you ready in maybe 5-7 weeks. At least that's what I think is reasonably average, for some it takes less time, and others more time. It's on you.
  • Hammerhead786Hammerhead786 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Ismaeljrp. I don't think it is MDD. You've made me realise that I might be trying to do too much at once instead of focussing on one area and then moving on. The approach you have adopted sounds like a good one so I'm going to give that a go.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No prob, you came to the right forum a lot of people here just want everyone to do well, me included. Sounds cheesy I know :)

Also, on the final 2 weeks or so try a couple practice exams, whenever you get something wrong study the reasons why you got it wrong. It's a great tool at realizing missed details and it really helps get a feel for that testing focus mentality.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif