Do you have a physical or a virtual lab?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
If you have a virtual lab, what's your technology or setup like? If physical, how many PCs?

I'm using VMware Workstation and soon will install Vmware Server.

Comments

• gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i'm using vmware workstation, 3 servers, need to add another one with 2 clients, is vmware server that much better?
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    i'm using vmware workstation, 3 servers, need to add another one with 2 clients, is vmware server that much better?

Server is definitely better, but needs more resources which I don't have on my laptop. I only have 4GB of RAM, not enough to carry a server plus clients, but I will install once to see how it goes.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have one server running esxi 5.1 and workstation on my laptop (16GB, ssd, and i5.)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've started really digging using VMWare Workstation to spin up machines I need for labbing. Considering that I generally don't need more than two, sometimes three, servers for any given lab-scenario that's more than enough to run a couple of VMs with two or three gigs of RAM each.

I've got an HP Elitebook 2560p laptop with 16GB of RAM and a nice little quad-core i5 CPU. I've got a solid state hard drive I want to drop into it, and then I'm going to get a nice, big storage drive to put into the expansion bay to hold my VMs. It serves pretty much all my needs, and lets me take my studies out and about so I can plunk down in a coffee shop as I work.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a physical lab.. 3 servers, a NAS, and a switch.. installed vSphere 5.1.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Both. And they are connected.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Virtual - my laptop W530, 32GB of RAM, SSDs, nested ESXi, vCenter and two ONTAP virtual storage arrays
    Physical - two whitebox ESXi hosts and a QNAP NAS
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Virtual - Primary host: Server 2008 R2 running hyper-V - Phenom II x4 3.5Ghz 8gb Ram 90Gb SSD primary 8Tb storage space
    Virtual - Secondary Host when needed: Laptop running Server 2008 R2 running Hyper-V 16Gb ram 600GB HDD.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Physical:

1 x Asus M5A97 R2.0 - Athlon II X4 640 - 32GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Windows 7/ESXi 5.1/Gaming
    1 x Asus M5A97 R2.0 - Athlon II X4 640 - 32GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - Windows 7/ESXi 5.1
    1 x Atom 330 - 4GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - Server 2008 R2 DC
    1 x ReadyNAS Pro 4 - 4 x 2TB
    1 x Netgear GS108T 8 Port Gig Switch

I also have 2 x HP NC365T 4 Port Gig NICs but they are not being fully utiltised by ESXi because I don't have a big enough switch at the moment but I won't upgrade that until I totally upgrade my setup when the Shuttle SZ87R6 is released. I'll probably put 2 x 8 core FX8350 in to the 2 ESXi Hosts and run Hyper-V on them.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Interesting responses so far. Honestly, I was expecting most would have virtual networks, but I was wrong as the responses so far are mixed.

Qahlo said he has 32 GB of RAM! Divide that by 8 to get how much RAM I have.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have both, I am lucky in that work have given us 4 X Dell 2950 servers with 32gig ram a piece and a netapp server with about 30Tbyes. Some FC switches and full VMware licencing. So we have a nice development lab set up to play with and can steal chunks of.

I then have second 8 core machine with 32gig ram for running GNS3 for my cisco stuff, and a bunch of old switches laying around.

All accessible via VPN so I got rid of my own personal lab a few years back. I would love to have a physical CISCO lab at home and might start building it up again. But for now what work is kindly providing is great.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.