I joined the ICND1 fail club

sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well this was my first attempt at an IT cert since the late 90s when I got my A+. I learned where my weak spots are and will retake next week. Overall it was a good learning experience.

I got a 750 for my score (ICND1 640-822). I focused so heavily on routing, subnetting, and some other topics to the point that I skimped on WAN and switching. Well it came back to bite me.

I used Lammle's book and the Boson practice exams. Both were great but I really needed to brush up on switching, WAN, and some basic things.

NOTE to other folks studying.... Keep in mind the practice tests are great but DON'T skimp on areas of study by thinking that you've covered it in the practice tests. I thought oh.. I've covered a lot of these switching or WAN items while doing the practice tests but never implemented it in Packet Tracer or read THOROUGHLY in the book. The items I took the time to read over carefully and go over in Packet Tracer were a breeze when it came up in the exam. I also spent less time on some real easy basic topics because I was so focused on routers.

I'll let you know how it turns out next Thursday. Time hit the books and go over my weak areas!

Comments

• CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck next week, think I'll be taking mine (100-101) in a month or so.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unlucky. Work on the week areas and go over the questions again. Best of luck next week.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll pass with flying colors next week!! Stay Positive!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • EXAMCCIEEXAMCCIE Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to you next week - I will be sitting the exam in around 60 days.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you've never taken, or haven't taken an exam like this one then it can be quite nerve racking. Chalk this one up to a learning experience. Hit those weak areas and go into it next week with confidence. Good luck!
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your second time around!
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your title makes it seem like you consider yourself a failure. Don't be so hard on yourself take it as a learning lesson, push harder on your studies, take your time. Good luck.
  • safari___safari___ Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not too bad for first attempt! Study hard and Good Luck on the next round.icon_cool.gif
  • sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyone for comments and support. This forum has been a great source of motivation to stay focused on the goal. I was just joking about joining the fail club. Hey... at least we gave it a shot! I know a lot of folks talk about the CCNA but never commit the time to actually study the material and take the tests. We should all be proud of the fact that we have come this far! I took a quick bathroom break before starting the test. While walking through the test center hallway I actually felt proud of the fact that I had got to this point.

Thanks again and good luck to all of you
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good attitude... I know the feeling. But now you have the gist of Cisco's testing style. Keep going, you are closer than ever.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, a lot of people talk the talk but rarely do they walk the walk.
  • DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, you have to be easy on yourself. Just work on the weak areas. Next time you go in there you will dominate that test. I'm betting... 960/1000...

Best luck next week.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers: