Options

Shares versus NTFS

carolinacarolina Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm getting confused with my video. My understanding is "SHARES" are considered Network permissions and NTFS are considered "LOCAL" permissions? Maybe I better go review that section again.

Regards,
Carolina
Carolina

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Carolina

You are not far off the mark there. Probably not a bad idea to go over it again if you have concerns. I guess the thing to remember is that NTFS is a file system with lots of bells and whistles, whereas sharing is more of a function.
    The NTFS file system is used by Win NT/2000/XP and uses relational database and transaction processing to provide features like file system reliability, file system recovery, large storage media support and data security. NTFS Version 5 introduced with Win2000 added feautres such as DFS, Volume mount points disk quotas etc. NTFS permissions drill right down to file level and are Write, Read, Read & Execute, Modify and Full Control.

Sharing permissions are at folder lever and are Read, Change and Full Control.

One must also remember that with permissions any deny over-rides an allow so if a folder is shared with full control and a file in it has a deny then that deny is the permission for that file.

Hopefully this helps clarify things for you.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    carolinacarolina Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, this did help me clear up a misunderstanding I obtained from the video. Thank you for taking time to help me with this. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Carolina
    Carolina
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Also read the part about share and local permissions here: www.techexams.net/technotes/70210/administration.shtml It's for another exam but covers the same thing.