Options

That is one heck of a dangerous VMware bug

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Pre vSphere 5.1b

virtualization.info | Release: vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1b
When you attempt to delete a virtual machine folder while the virtual machine is powered on, a message similar toCannot delete file. [VMFS] <virtual_Machine_Name> is displayed. If you click the Delete button again without closing the datastore browser or changing the selection, and attempt to delete the same virtual machine folder that failed to delete earlier, all virtual machine folders on the VMFS volume might now get deleted.

Scary ..........
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm interesting... good to know, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am off to try to recreate it in the production environment :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It's a feature, not a bug. How would you otherwise delete all VMs at once? :)
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    It's a feature, not a bug. How would you otherwise delete all VMs at once? :)

Dang, haven't seen it that way .. a shame it is being patched :)
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another reason to stay with 5.0.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    That is nasty!!!! Thx for heads up!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I am off to try to recreate it in the production environment :)

Let us know how that turns out for you
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    Another reason to stay with 5.0.

One of many ....
  • Options
    Let us know how that turns out for you

its been a really quite day, no emails, no phones, not help desk cases.... lot of angry people banging on the door shouting about something or other not working. but just turning up the volume on the headphones and watching you tube clips about an old dear falling down a hole.. See nothing to that bug!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    One of many ....

When people start threads on upgrading to 5.1, I used to tell them 5.1 isn't that great. They should upgrade/stick with 5.0. After serveral futile attempts, I gave up. Now I think of all the "fun" they'll have trying to get 5.1 working.
  • Options
    The "best" fail we had was upgrading vCloud Director. Nowhere in the vSphere documentation does it say you need to upgrade the vShield manager first before upgrading the vCenter... They've added it to the vCloud documentation now - but it is nowhere mentioned in the upgrade guides .. Especially the ones saying "vCenter First" ...
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Yeah, so glad 5.1 wasn't GA when I did my design. Stuck with 5.0 and haven't regretted it yet.
  • Options
    have to say using 5.1 and with out issue, mind you we arnt pushing for the advanced feature so it pretty much an out of the box solution.
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    The "best" fail we had was upgrading vCloud Director. Nowhere in the vSphere documentation does it say you need to upgrade the vShield manager first before upgrading the vCenter... They've added it to the vCloud documentation now - but it is nowhere mentioned in the upgrade guides .. Especially the ones saying "vCenter First" ...

Wait until you start playing around with vCAC. You'll wish the documentation is as good as vCloud.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Dave you make me nervous about looking at their other products when I have some time lol
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Dave you make me nervous about looking at their other products when I have some time lol

Working with vCAC is sort of like trying to open a can w/out a can opener. There are all sorts of goodies inside. Just not sure how to access it.