Options

Both tests, one day....Thoughts?

mmeravy34mmeravy34 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondered if anyone out there did ok just taking both tests in one day? I know it is a lot of information but all the studying materials I've come across kinda jump between the two exams and bunch stuff together. I was thinking about just studying it all as if for one test and then just taking both tests on the same day with a break in between.

Comments

• Options
    nXPLOSinXPLOSi Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going back a few years here, but I done mine 3-4 weeks apart if I remember correctly. I did feel afterwards like I could have done them a lot closer together, maybe even on the same day, but it was my first cert exams and I was nervous about doing one, let alone two!

People have done it successfully, the content is so similar and crossed over I believe you could do it, although two exams in one day may be a slog if you haven't taken certification exams previously.

Best of luck on the exams whatever you decide.
    Twitter - ClarkFx
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @mmeravy34,

Welcome!

I have always recommended that both exams be taken on the same day. Others will recommend separate days. The decision is yours. One major reason I recommend he same day is because in real life, one does not separate the troubleshooting concepts to repair PCs. Whether the problem or problems are mixed on one device or that you will be switching between software sided issues and hardware based issues throughout the day, in real life, the problems are not shelved until you are comfortable.

The other reason, is mostly for time. I found it possible to block out four hours of one day, rather than two separate days, plus having to 'wait' until completion of my second exam before knowing if I was certified or not.

As mentioned, others will recommend a wait. You will need to decide what works best for your schedule and your comfort level.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I am happy that I split them up after taking the 801. I was not overwhelmed by the material, but being my first CompTIA test, it gave me an idea of what their exam questions look like. That will help me over the next few days as I prepare for the 802. Cash is particularly tight for me these days, so I'd prefer to exceed the minimum by as much as possible...
  • Options
    Well I'm deployed right now and have leave coming up soon. My job has a lot of "downtime" so I have a lot of opportunities to study so I just went ahead and scheduled both tests for sept 25th. I'm pretty sure that should be enough time. I've already been studying for about a week or so.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good luck!

Post back any questions you have on the content in the forum if you get stuck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    toeknee1973toeknee1973 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi mmeravy34,
    i took both tests about a month ago and passed them. but i would really recommend to study the Measure Up questions if possible,they are really close to the actual tests. i had to drive a couple hours to my test site. i had the 801 at 8:15am in the morning , then my 802 at 12:15pm. it gave my time to review each practice test from MU. I had already read Mike Meyers AIO 8th Edition book about a month before I took the test, I really enjoyed reading this book. My company paid for the exam , so money was not an issue. Good luck ..
    (In Progress)
    B.A. IT - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance - WGU
    HCISPP
  • Options
    hi mmeravy34,
    i took both tests about a month ago and passed them. but i would really recommend to study the Measure Up questions if possible,they are really close to the actual tests. i had to drive a couple hours to my test site. i had the 801 at 8:15am in the morning , then my 802 at 12:15am. it gave my time to review each practice test from MU. I had already read Mike Meyers AIO 8th Edition book about a month before I took the test, I really enjoyed reading this book. My company paid for the exam , so money was not an issue. Good luck ..

I'm guessing the Measure Up is like just practice tests you can buy? If so how much do they run and where to get them?
  • Options
    Nevermind, I stopped being lazy and just looked it up. I'm guessing just the online program would be better since its cheaper though.
  • Options
    traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think both exams should always be taken on the same day. I took both tests on the same day with an hour between the two.....and not just any day.....it was on the last day that you could take the exam and get "grandfathered in" for life if you passed it. Talk about STRESS. Thank goodness I passed!
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to admit, I took mine on two separate days and it worked out OK. But I hated having to wait, especially since I went over all the information to pass both tests before sitting for the first! Talk about being nervous for ~2 weeks!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    Dr.GonzoDr.Gonzo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I split my test up about a week apart, and it drove me crazy not knowing if I was going to be certified or not having to wait an entire week to complete the test, but for me it was probably a good thing to have another week of review. The guys that took both tests in one day that were in my class were relieved it was over but admitted that it was a bit of a grind....but every test is, so best of luck, you'll make the right call at the end of the day.