Options

CCNA lab kits

sxiboysxiboy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm interested in peoples opinions on lab kits...

I would appreciate advice on what is best for me as I'm new to cisco equipment and don't really know what I'm looking for.

I've seen this one
http://www.ciscokits.com/dualcisco2507.htm
and this one...
http://www.ciscosurplus.co.uk/cisco_lab_kits/lab_kit.asp?kit_ID=23

I have no problem spending around £400-£500 on this setup and it would be nice if at the end of it I could use one for my own home ADSL connection.

Advice greatly appreciated :P

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out this link: http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/HOME%20LAB%20Building%20One.htm

It will give you a good overview on routers to start with.
    Cisco 2514 could be something for you if want to use it for DSL.
    You could then buy 2501 or 2503s to extend you lab step by step.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    Thanks, really helpfull links there :)
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Unless you want to become CCIE, I would advise on investing in the kits. If you only want to become CCNA, then a good router sim will do.

I dont have a kit and used only a router sim and was able to pass the exam but I have two years of experience so I am very familiar.
    What next?
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    jmc724 wrote:
    Unless you want to become CCIE, I would advise on investing in the kits. If you only want to become CCNA, then a good router sim will do.

You would or you wouldn't ?
    jmc724 wrote:
    I dont have a kit and used only a router sim and was able to pass the exam but I have two years of experience so I am very familiar.

Well, i understand "jmc" that you might be someone who has a better understanding of things, also since you have had a lot of experience working on routers, you probably never felt the need for a router kit.
    But i personally feel that simulator's are no way even closer to actual routers, i for one can never have faith in them, they have a few KNOWN and a lot of UNKNOWN bugs in them. Even the best in business, namely BOSON has some bugs.

So i would prefer a actual router anyday as compared to a sim, also i feel that the actual router is more reliable then the sim icon_confused.gif

But in the end of course its a trade off between your needs & the "moolah" that you can shell out :D
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Other than downloading the simulator for free... If you were to pay for the CCNP Boson simulator ($249)... you can purchase a couple of routers and a switch for that amount.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    sxiboysxiboy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now that the 2514 is discontinued.. What is its closest replacement?..