Failed 100-101 ICND1 and Learned a Lesson

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am certainly not prepared with a final score of 705. Though, the part that really confuses me as compared to all the other exams I have taken previously, the practice tests from the Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom shows that I knew the material that was covered. All other practice tests I took before for other certifications, I basically failed but passed on the real exam.

This time, it was the other way around. The questions on the practice tests were easy, and on the real exam, it was extremely difficult. I also felt like I was taking an adaptive exam.

I'm going back to square one after that experience. I will likely use PrepLogic/LearnSmart for the Practice Exams since they're more brutal and are a lot closer to the types of questions I experienced.

The failure certainly didn't discourage me, but I learned a lesson about the quality of practice exams from that. Make sure you find one that challenges you and at the very least, try two or three different flavors of practice exams before you schedule that real one.

Comments

• darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I keep telling the dinosaurs that I work with who "took the easy CCNA" 10 years ago that the test is much harder now, comparatively.

It's great - everyone on our teams going to need a CCNA minimum soon. Threads like this make everyone a tid bit nervous.

Keep at it - you'll get it and be better for it! :D
    :twisted:
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard both good and bad about the practice tests in the book. That's part of the reason why I pre-ordered Lammle's book as well.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It is good that you realize what you need to work on, and that you are going after it again.

The CCNA seems to just become more and more of a "weed-out" test. With each revision, Cisco is adding more and more topics. Nowadays, the 100-series CCENT looks similar to what the full CCNA used to be.

The tests go after your understanding in a nuanced way, that requires the seeker to really "think" and "know" how things work out. It requires a certain degree of reading and labbing. Knowing the answers to the questions in the book is not sufficient. You have to understand how the technologies work.

As far as practice tests, you should try Boson. They are well known for capturing the difficulty of the exams in a manner similar to how Cisco does it. When reviewing, concentrate on knowing the "why" and "how" behind the answer, not necessarily just what the answer to a question is.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    As far as practice exams go, I always use Boson Ex-Sim Max and Transcender.
    Also, I always read the explanation of the answer even on ones I got right.
    Sometimes I find that I got it right, but not for the reason I thought.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was using Boson NetSim to help reinforce the materials I learned the book. The other big disadvantage for me was my experience in working with HP and Extreme Networks switches for a very long time. I found myself instinctively typing in HP/Extreme commands on the test only to realize I was not in my usual environment.

Thanks all for the feedback.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest Boson ExSim-Max also. The ICND1 (640-822) practice tests were pretty good and about on par with the real thing. The ICND2 (640-816) Boson tests were absolutely brutal, MUCH harder than the real thing.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Welcome to Cisco, while they aren't perfect they are certainly more comprehensive than other well known certifications. *cough* Micro *cough* soft
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to Cisco, while they aren't perfect they are certainly more comprehensive than other well known certifications. *cough* Micro *cough* soft

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I hate, no make that despise MS tests.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    The ICND2 (640-816) Boson tests were absolutely brutal, MUCH harder than the real thing.

Nice, I bought mine early, they had a 25% off sale that ended July 31st. I will be starting them in a few weeks.
  • kingholmeskingholmes Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the comments on Boson. I had the Netsim and Examsim. They both helped.
  • shellee1983shellee1983 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Boson tests were absolutely brutal, MUCH harder than the real thing.

I agree with this. I failed with a 675 the first time I took the test, like you I was passing the practice exams with scores of upper 90s. When I took the actual exam I got killed. I had seen many people recommend Boson and I studied ONLY with that and a packet tracer for the two weeks after and re-scheduled to take the test. I was so nervous on the retake but I passed with a 925. Boson's practice exams I was failing ironically because they gave like 4 to 5 sims each test of 75 questions but gave the 90 minute time limit. It was a great prep tool and most definitely worth the money. When I start studying for ICND 2 I will most certainly use Boson again.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Boson NetSim certainly helped me with the CLI and my ability to familiarize myself with a similar environment. I will check out the tests later this week and give those a shot as well.

Thanks!