Options

One of our vendors is mass email bombing us every day several times during the day...

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
How would you handle this situation? It happens to us every day and causes latency on our spam filters big time due to the volume of email coming in all at once.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    have your exchange guys add it to their block list
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hubtransport rules ftw. :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tell them to stop or you won't buy anything from them in future. That does the trick nice and quick in my experience.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it wasa vendor we used. I would call them up and tell them I want it stopped and to blacklist all of out domains from sending spam to. I might then suggest that we discuss if we do wan any news letters from them and get them to allow a single email address.

But yes any vendor worth using will be happy to sort it out if you tell them you are not happy.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go with what DevilWAH suggested. If you are spending money with their company give your sales team a call and tell them to get it fixed ASAP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait, did I miss something here? Did you just ignore the issue for a while or did you actually try any of the options above and got no results?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    most marketing emails from a vendor should have an unsubscribe link, again if they do not then I would not use that vendor.

and if i did not get a good response if I called asking them to stop, I would tell them I am blocking there whole domain name, and there for will not be able to do business with them as we block by domain not by individual emails address (white lie here) as even business emails will not be delivered.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They somehow got the addresses of everyone in our GAL and send the same email to everyone individually at the same time... We have an idea about how they obtained this list of addresses. It causes major issues at the spam filters which are before our exchange servers. I actually think our security engineer is going to speak with them. Thanks.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Tell them the SpamHaus update should kick in any day now :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ah, I see. That is absurd and needs to stop immediately.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    They somehow got the addresses of everyone in our GAL and send the same email to everyone individually at the same time... We have an idea about how they obtained this list of addresses. It causes major issues at the spam filters which are before our exchange servers. I actually think our security engineer is going to speak with them. Thanks.

Now I am curious, can you share how you think they got the list of addresses?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously? That is one vendor I'd never do business with again. I'd blacklist their domain.

Or if you're really angry. Submit written notice of a termination of all business contact, have all members unsubscribe (and document the date, time and email) and if you ever receive another piece of mail from them contact the FTC under the CAN-SPAM act:

Q. What are the penalties for violating the CAN-SPAM Act?

A. Each separate email in violation of the law is subject to penalties of up to $16,000, and more than one person may be held responsible for violations.

The CAN-SPAM Act has certain aggravated violations that may give rise to additional fines:
    ...harvesting email addresses...

CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | BCP Business Center
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    most marketing emails from a vendor should have an unsubscribe link, again if they do not then I would not use that vendor.

I have tried several times to unsubscribe from Microsoft's TechNet Flash newsletters and I still get them. This has been going on for like a month or so.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???