Studying for ICND1 640-822 before deadline, thoughts?

nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to get some feedback on my studying plan for those of you who have passed the ICND1 640-822 exam.

I am using WO's 640-822 3rd edition for studying and I am only 2 chapters in. My goal is to study enough to be ready to take the test before the September 30th deadline this year when the test changes. That gives me under 2 months to study including home labs and any additional test materials (CBT nuggets, practice tests, etc).

I am unemployed, so reasonably I have at least 3-5 hrs a day to study, 6 days a week.

Anyone think this is a reasonable goal for the time I have left? Would you go for it or start studying for the new test objectives?

FYI I have 4 years of IT analyst/engineer experience so networking is not a new concept to me but I imagine most of the material will be still be new.

Thanks peeps.
2018 goal: CCNA Collaboration - B]210-060[/B

Comments

• snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on if you can understand all the information in that amount of time. I would recommend at least two other resources to help fill in the gaps. But it all depends on you
  • nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    snunez889 wrote: »
    It all depends on if you can understand all the information in that amount of time. I would recommend at least two other resources to help fill in the gaps. But it all depends on you

Yea I figured if there's a will there's a way. At some point I read that the recommended study time was at least 2 months, so it does seem like I'd be pushing it.
  • t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nopixel wrote: »
    Yea I figured if there's a will there's a way. At some point I read that the recommended study time was at least 2 months, so it does seem like I'd be pushing it.

From a personal standpoint, It all boils down to how well you understand the concepts. If you feel you have a solid grasp on the material by the time you're done the book, and the deadline hasn't passed..I'd say go for it.

Design a few labs and implement what you've learned. Look for different ways to implement and pay attention to the results and ask yourself why this and that happened, etc. Then take a few practice exams and gauge your knowledge. If the scores are in the 80%+, I'd say your ready for the test.

My .2

HTH
    2015 Certification Goals:
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    t5yll4 wrote: »
    Then take a few practice exams and gauge your knowledge. If the scores are in the 80%+, I'd say your ready for the test.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any chance that passing the "old" ICND1 640-822 won't qualify me to take the ICND2 new version to achieve my CNNA? In other words, will old ICND1 + new ICND2 = CNNA?
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nopixel wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. Any chance that passing the "old" ICND1 640-822 won't qualify me to take the ICND2 new version to achieve my CNNA? In other words, will old ICND1 + new ICND2 = CNNA?

from my understanding old icnd 1 + new icnd2 will get you the ccna