Options

Interview Help application support

Passed first round of phone interview and have an in person now. The job is an application support role. I am in the running because of my customer support background. My week areas are the server side of application support, server troubleshooting, SQL, application installation, performance troubleshooting etc. Not looking for caned answers and I know I am not going to become an expert in a short amount of time, just looking for some resources I can start working through.

I am going to start with the material from CBT Nuggets on:

70-646: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator
70-643: TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

I will be cherry picking the material looking for what is relevant. Anything else anyone can recommend would be great. Anything real world on the book side would be great..

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Those are good items to go through, do you know if they are using 2008 as their infrastructure servers? Some places may be using 2003 or 2012.

I'd probably more focus on 646 and possible 640 which is the AD role (something that integrates into everything).
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would brush up on DNS as well.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    My last position was largely application/systems support in a linux environment...common things I did:

Log parsing
    Scripting
    JVM tuning (this was big because a lot of the apps were java based, jconsole was a big help with this)
    Monitoring via top, vmstat, netstat (task manager and resource monitor in Windows)
    Application installation (including semi-complex stacks like Fusion Middleware products), upgrades, configuration (including secure), and patching
    Application administration
    etc

These daily duties were largely in the webapp world so I worked a lot with Tomcat, Apache, IIS, WebLogic, and WebSphere...the web servers alone was a lot of information to learn!

If you find more about the position I might be able to craft more specific information and resources to work with.